Air Con Unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We have one. It's a big free standing lump that you can have inside or out but it does produce a hell of a lot of water .

The cost to run is roughly £5.00 per day but in this weather it's well worth it.

The one we have can produce cold air or hot air to heat your home.

Personally I only use it when I don't really have any choice because of the cost to run.

Ours is supposed to be 4 to 1? So it's supposed to be able to throw out 4kw of heat. It would not be a viable option all year round.

And the unit itself costs nearly £500.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As you can imagine we have them all over the house but really only use the bedroom one at night. It's a split type.
The cheap Chinese ones seem to be as good as big brands like Samsung.
You'll have to run the pipes and wiring through the wall so might prefer a stand alone type.
Might need re gassing every two or so years, you'll know as they become less effective.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
After the week we've had in Wales it feckin' well is.

I'm a lousy sleeper at the best of times, but it's been a nightmare. We've lived here twenty years next month and the two downstairs ceiling fans that were here when we arrived have never been switched on once - until this week when we've had both constantly running, supplemented by a portable fan plus another one running all night in the bedroom.

Mate across the road has fitted an air con unit, it cost around £500 and he reckons it's brilliant. I might look at something a bit cheaper for the bedroom.

Wev have a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Generally gets used about two nights a year but excellent and removesc any need for air con.

midlife

Guru
Not sure why but I stood on a table in a Brick Lane curry house and got smacked in the head by a ceiling fan. But safer in the bedroom maybe ?

Tom...

Veteran
ive seen single units for £349......but then theres fitting to add to that too, so not bad really. Would be a god send in the bedroom that for sure

Most installers won't fit a unit they haven't supplied themselves

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
We have a portable 12,000 BTU one for the bedroom. Mrs S has COPD issues and struggles to breathe in the heat. I think a 20,000 BTU one would be good for cooling the garden.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
windows are closed to stop the cats getting out....to many cars around here and they might get squished

so air con it is.....and its strange to hear a cyclist quote "saves Money", but probably has 3/4/5 bikes in the shed lol
Ah... you could use mesh instead of linen!

Bikes save us money too!
Just the two now: a 'new' one [2010] and an old one. Mrs A_T has a 'new' one too [2009] but the baby of the lot is the e-assist Orbit Tandem... we bought that when we sold our old Polo!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This clip should be essential viewing.....

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mBeYC2KGc[/media]

It explains why portable AC units with a through wall/window air hose are pretty useless in terms of efficiency and running costs.

Top Bottom