Air cond unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

My new outdoor room is unbearably hot any time at the moment making in door cycling awful. I'm also outside as well btw lol. A fan doesn't help as it just swirls hot air around. Portable air con units on amazon are in the hundreds. I just want a cheap small unit for a few months every year to drag down the temperature 5 degrees or so in a tiny room after being on for 10 mins. Does anyone have a recommendation?

TIA
vpZN8zDJtIh9N0a82uHaATQ=w1281-h961-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Actual AC units are going to cost you 300 or more. My partner just bought one for 50 quid, it's a basic fan with a tray that you can fill with water or crushed ice. We tried it with water and it was good, although it might have just been the night air coming in the window and the breeze from the fan. You can also make your own by hanging a couple 2 litre bottles of frozen water in front your fan, and closing windows to keep the hot air out. But the bought units are more efficient and convenient. Not had any experience of action AC units I'm afraid

Good morning,

If you look at post https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ti-raleigh-40th-anniversary-edition.264758/post-6909802 you will see one of those £250 air conditioners from Argos sitting in the corner.

It is sitting there as it serves no useful purpose, :sad: sadly.

Although it does blast a huge amount of cold air out of the front, it also blasts a huge amount of hot air out of the hose at the back, so unless you can get the venting pipe down to a trivial length the net effect seems to be that of a small heater:laugh:.

I also tried one of those evaporative coolers and it was effective for a short period of time, but the whole way they work causes a big increase in humidity and I ended up worse off.

Bye

Ian

midlife

Guru
When I first moved to Carlisle I had to work in a small space like that for a while in an old victorian building withe quite a large window (room had been split)

I had an air con unit about the size of a small fridge with a pipe dangling outside and even then it struggled to keep it cool even when on all day.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Cycle outdoors?

I do both.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
When I first moved to Carlisle I had to work in a small space like that for a while in an old victorian building withe quite a large window (room had been split)

I had an air con unit about the size of a small fridge with a pipe dangling outside and even then it struggled to keep it cool even when on all day.

Something like this I guess. I only need to drag the temperature down 5% or so at the moment. Granted the room will heat up like it just did after an hour cycling but something is better than nothing. Plus my stats improve the colder it is lol!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've had one about 20 years. Gives enough cooling to keep the bedrooms sleepable. Our house is very thermally efficient but the walls litterally retain the heat during a hot spell.

You are looking at £300 plus and factor in you'll need a longer vent hose. We picked a 150mm diameter hose from screwfix which is better than the 100mm for increasing exhaust flow and reducing heat. AC is on landing and piped out of the bathroom window.

OldShep

Über Member
First thing todo is get some heavy curtains up and keep the sun from ever getting in there.
I’ve an AC unit used for heat. In 13 years we’ve used it once for air con.

Can you get a canopy and cycle outside looking in or something ? Small space like that with you creating heat - thats always going to be an issue.

Personally I just dont turbo in the summer.

Top Bottom