To sell or not to sell? My Condor Fratello (2006)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello!
This is my first post in pretty much any forum ever, but also in a cycling one. But I was wondering if I could get the help of you wonderful wise cyclists... and particularly any Condor lovers out there.

I bought a beautiful olive(y) green condor fratello from the London store back in 2006 and it was my dearest possession and best friend; we went to many cities and on various adventures together. But then I had 2 kids, and run a farm in Australia so let's just say life isn't the same as it was when I was in my 20s and 30s. Its spec was custom made to me (I'm about 5'8''), cannot remember it's frame size in cm but clearly can measure this...(!), steel frame, has campag, shimano, and still runs well. Def a few scrapes here and there from being a workhorse, no two ways about that, but I'm just wondering if that chapter is over and I get a nice tourer (we're moving to rural France) one day when I rustle up some cash or just sell it here.

So yes, the question I need some pretty urgent help on is:
Do I ship this baby back to Europe, where I'm relocating, or do I sell it. And if sell it, that seems a whole other world of complexity to navigate. Cannot begin to understand if its worth nothing or something reasonable (purchased for about 2.8k GBP)

To the Condor and Condor Fratello lovers out there - is this something I should hold onto and reclaim and one day give to kids if it makes it, or do I sell it.

In terms of do I need the cash, I mean, yes, always, but also I wouldn't want to let go of this beautiful old friend for a too low sum and then regret not having her!

Sorry if this is not the kind of question I should be asking! But thank you anyway for reading.

THANK YOU!

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and welcome to Cycle Chat.
I'm afraid it's only you who can answer that question.If it's really sentimental to you I personally wouldn't sell it.If its just something you bought to use and it's now getting in the way just sell it on..

All uphill

Still rolling along
If I was you I'd treasure having something to remind me of an earlier life; I suspect your bike will sell for relatively little in Australia, but will still be the perfect bicycle for you when (not if) you are drawn back to cycling in la belle France.

johnnyb47

Guru
My old Peugeot road bike is worth next to nothing even though it's imaculate and that it's 40 years old this year.Its hung up on the wall and will remain there, as it's a lovely reminder of my belated mum who bought me one all those years ago.It just brings back fond memories when ever I look at it.
To sell it for next to nothing to be used as a pub bike by some uncaring person will never happen

yello

This sounds like one of those tough decision, the bike being worth more to you than dollars (well, everyone has thier price!) But seriously, sentimentality aside, unless it's being shipped back as part of a job lot in a container or somesuch then it'll probably cost you more to ship it than you'd get for it.

Fratello's are lovely bikes (I nearly bought one) but it'll not fetch a huge sum... and do you want the hassle of shipping and selling? A Condor could well be worth more in Aus than the UK anyway, it's maybe a little more 'exclusive'. Or do you know of a good home in Aus for it? Someone that would appreciate it as you did? Maybe a post on Audax Australia website? (if such a thing exists)

Fratellos are perfectly up to light touring, and certainly long days rides that will be plentiful in rural France. I'm sure there's life in the old girl yet ;)

Btw, the bike I bought instead of a Fratello is still going strong (some tens of thousands of miles down the track) and enjoying it's now not-so-new life in France. I too would struggle to sell, we've had some memorable experiences together. I can empathise, it will be a difficult decision for you.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Personally as an owner of two Condors, an Itallia, and a Classico, I would ship yours to France so you can continue riding it.
It won't fetch much $ in Aus and you might regret selling it later on.

alicat

Legendary Member
Plus it sounds like a hassle you don't need to sell it before you relocate.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look, the French build good cycles too. I believe that they are still available for sale in France. :rolleyes:

Not as good as Condor…it’s a London thing ;) I waited 6 years for my Gran Fondo to come up on eBay in my size🦄

I’d keep it if it fits you like a glove and you love it. Saves the hassle of finding a replacement as good :smile:

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Not as good as Condor…it’s a London thing ;) I waited 6 years for my Gran Fondo to come up on eBay in my size🦄

I’d keep it if it fits you like a glove and you love it. Saves the hassle of finding a replacement as good :smile:

I can see why. :ohmy:

35100375-001.jpg

Top Bottom