How to stop my saddle being stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
On my commute to work in London in the last couple of weeks i cycle part of my commute then lock my bike up alongside other bikes and then take an underground train to my work place . I have noticed that some bikes outside the station have no saddles on them which i guess have being stolen and some have been removed by their owners . I know it would take only a few flicks of a Allen key and a few seconds for a thief to steal my saddle

My question is what is the best way to stop my saddle being stolen ? i cannot take it to work with me

Punkawallah

Über Member
Keep your backside on it? If you don’t get off, they can’t steal it :-)

On my commute to work in London in the last couple of weeks i cycle part of my commute then lock my bike up alongside other bikes and then take an underground train to my work place . I have noticed that some bikes outside the station have no saddles on them which i guess have being stolen and some have been removed by their owners . I know it would take only a few flicks of a Allen key and a few seconds for a thief to steal my saddle

My question is what is the best way to stop my saddle being stolen ? i cannot take it to work with me

Use a security bolt instead of an Allen bolt so they'd need a different key ?
Loop a cable through it ?
Make it less attractive to a thief - scribble on it ?
Put a plastic bag over the top like little old ladies seem to.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I’ve seen saddle rails with a chain around them (Brooks usually). If you go down this route, you’d also need to secure your seatpost.

If someone really wanted your saddle the’d undo the seatpost and make off with the kit.

Big John

Guru
Some will nick it just because they can and not because it's worth nicking. When I was a school kid some sod nicked my combination lock and left the bike! Just make sure you make your saddle as unattractive as possible and don't have a quick release seat post. If they want something and they have the gear then they'll nick it - wheels, saddle and even pedals. You can't cover everything, more's the pity. They even get through D locks. Nothing is safe.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To quote the immortal Fonz:

Screenshot_20240208-125753.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
I’ve seen saddle rails with a chain around them (Brooks usually). If you go down this route, you’d also need to secure your seatpost.
If someone really wanted your saddle they’d undo the seatpost and make off with the kit.
Given OP can't take it with them, simple cable through the rails and frame triangle (under top tube) will deter and deflect to another bike's saddle. Why would you need to secure your seatpost (if saddle secured as above)?

I'd expect any thief with a little nous would see a Brooks as a worthy trophy, a lot costing north of a ton. Other saddles may blend in with the crowd more, especially if it's on a beater bike. When I'm back in the UK, I often leave a bike locked up in the town centre, and believe me it really is a bag of sh**e to behold (the bike, not the town).

vickster

Legendary Member

Why not? Take seat post and saddle (removal will make the bike as a whole less attractive too). As you say it’s just a few turns of an Allen key (mark post obviously for saddle height)

Top Bottom