To overtake or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning I was out for a ride when I was overtaken by two riders. Not an issue, a lot of people overtake me. But then they dropped in front of me and stayed at around my speed. I was mostly fine with the speed they rode at but occasionally they seemed to slow down just a bit and I could have overtaken them. I decided not to overtake them as I thought I would be just dropping in front of them and not really increasing the distance between us.

I kept a distance of about 4 or 5 metres between us so I could not be accused of hitching a ride, although they did keep looking round to see where I was. This kept up for about 4 miles before our routes split.

No skin off my nose as I was quite happy with the speed generally but what do others do in this situation? Do you just stick behind them, overtake and stay in front, or continue leap-frogging?

DogmaStu

Yes, that's an annoying situation as it disrupts your ride. If I'm going to match others nigh on exactly I'll usually hang back but otherwise overtake and put a big gap between us before settling down to a pace similar to theirs.

Reactions: C R
On my ebike I generally try to avoid overtaking people unless they are going significantly slower than me
If I feel I need to stay behind them then I have the advantage of dropping the motor assist down a level - which normally means to "off"

This generally slows me down a bit - enough to stay behind them and even let them get ahead a bit

If someone passes me then I normally also slow down a bit - unless they are the road cyclist brigade with lycra - in which case they normally get ahead pretty quickly

presta

Guru
I only get this from kids, adults can outpace me. They come steaming past but then start flagging, at which point "If you want to race, get out from under my wheels" usually gets rid of them.

I haver had a few people that see an old fat bloke on a bike and assume they can pass me and stay ahead
despite having to accelerate to catch and pass!

If this happens then I try not to embarrass them and slow down and let then get a bit ahead
I remember one pair who did this on a long flat road and got ahead - but then slowed down and were clearly struggling to keep ahead
bit of a problem as I was already in "off" mode - so no assist to reduce atthe time (tail wind I assume)

I ended up dropping down a gear and takena different route home to avoid the problem of passing them myself - and them assuming I was cheating using the motor - and then having then speed up and
etc etc etc

so I cut off left and went home by the scenic route

On the same stretch a while ago a large bloke passed me on a mountain bike - I could hear they were proper knobbly tyres from the sound and he looked like a normal bloke not a cyclist
so I was expecting problems with catching him
but to be fair to him he just shot off - clearly he must have damn fit as I let him get a way ahead and tried to keep up just to see how fast he was going - got to 20 mph and gave up and let him get away!

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
I usually ride along at around 15/16/17 on the flat so am used to being overtaken.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing this when I was overtaken by two blokes (not the same ones) who looked as if they were working quite hard and quickly pulled ahead. One of them looked to be quite overweight.

A half mile ahead is a short, but rapidly rising hill around a bend. The big bloke was struggling and dismounted just as I passed him, shouting to his mate that he had a problem with his gears.

I enjoyed this and remember it well as it is so unusual because I struggle on steep hills since I had a pacemaker fitted. I'll take these odd successes.

On the same stretch a while ago a large bloke passed me on a mountain bike - I could hear they were proper knobbly tyres from the sound and he looked like a normal bloke not a cyclist

Some of us cyclists are normal people...and vice versa. :whistle:

yello

It rarely happens to me, though I do sometimes see someone coming t'other way, but I reckon I'd turn off (if poss) and go a different way. I really don't following or being follewed.

FrothNinja

Veteran
On climbs I maintain my comfortable cadence & won't sacrifice that to pander to someone's ego, so I would probably pass and say 'How Do' as I did so. They are more than welcome to steam past me again if they want too, it won't bother me in the slightest.

Top Bottom