To Overtake or Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If one assumes the 20mph limit is there for good reason then I don't think it is a good idea to be cycling in excess of this.

Nonsense, it is considered a good idea for motorised vehicles, of many multiples weight of bike or rider. One should not assume that a law applying to vehicles of one class makes sense for vehicles in a completely different class.

markemark

Über Member
Why speed limits only apply to motor vehicles.

Cos speeding cars are really dangerous but speeding bikes rarely kill anybody. Same reason cars have lots of other restrictions bikes don’t (mot, insurance, licences, age restrictions etc). Add to that bikes don’t usually have any reliable way of measuring speed.

Mburton1993

Über Member
Having just spent 8 days cycling 1000 miles around Wales I did and would continue to just feather the brakes.

Assuming the new limit will be for B roads and country lanes and not A roads then 20mph will do, what with the hit and miss road surfaces and blind corners.

Alex321

Veteran
Having just spent 8 days cycling 1000 miles around Wales I did and would continue to just feather the brakes.

Assuming the new limit will be for B roads and country lanes and not A roads then 20mph will do, what with the hit and miss road surfaces and blind corners.

The new limit will not be for B roads and country lanes.

Where the default limit is currently 30mph (which are those officially called "restricted roads" - defined by having street lights), the defauilt limit will be 20mph from 17th September.

There will be exceptions to this, where the limit will remain 30 - by traffic order. And there will be some roads which do not have streetlights, that will be restricted to 20 by traffic order.

The map I linked to above shows all affected roads, both before and after the new laws and orders come in.

It is mainly (but not entirely) residential roads and shopping streets which will be 20.

Alex321

Veteran
So the locations where pedestrians will be expecting low speeds from motorised vehicles and no neccessarily spotting a speeding pedal cyclist.

Ah, well with that being the case overtaking in those areas would also not be the safest choice.

Or any road with street lights that gets overlooked by the local council.
Indeed.

As I said, not entirely Residential or shopping streets.

Alex321

Veteran
I did find one bit of road yesterday that I ride fairly often, that is now a 20 limit where I normally get close to 30, and was held up behind a car doing about 17-18 yesterday. I didn't overtake, but only because there was traffic coming the other way.

There is a primary school shortly after the bottom of the hill, but it was 2:00pm on a Sunday when I rode it yesterday, I usually turn right about 100 yards before the school.

1696857179140.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.490...as658EDnj4bfwUPw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Top Bottom