Air pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul 1981

Hello I bought a bike😎 I am still waiting for it.
I have question what kind of air pump I need to buy for this type of tire: Specialized Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25mm clincher

vickster

Legendary Member
Track pump with gauge and a presta fitting
eg https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/halfords-track-pump-228062.html (many other options are available but usually start around £20 :okay:)

If you want a pump to carry on the bike, look at Lezyne Road drive https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lezyne/Road-Drive-Pump-Medium/18YB Have a separate hose, easier to use than the push on type (less risk of bending valve). Comes with a mount which sits on the frame under the bottle cage

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You have a few decisions to make. Basically the key thing is that this bike has Presta valves. Therefore any pump that doesn't handle Presta valves is out. (Other kinds are Schrader as seen on cars, and Woods which is relatively rare these days).

Next, how do you want to carry it? If in a jersey pocket then you want something quite small (obvs) say maybe a Topeak Pocket Rocket. But most pumps come with a carrying clip that fits behind the bottle cage, so you could go for something a bit bigger (maybe my favourite, Topeak Road Morph). Note there are other brands apart from Topeak!! Some people advise against carrying hard things in jersey pockets.

There are zillions of pumps on the market. As long as it's Presta, it should work.

Also ... you may want to consider a "track pump" for use at home. This is because portable pumps have quite a small volume so take a lot of pumping to get tyres up to pressure. Some little ones may not be able to reach the full pressure that you want. So relieved of the constraints of having to carry it, a nice big track pump is great for home use.

Last edited:
For a track pump I'd recommend a JOE BLOW, simply because I've had one for years, (older model granted), it's been perfect and I've no reason to think it won't last many more years.

You obviously can't carry this with you on the bike, so something like THIS and THIS are what you'll need for your rides.

FWIW I use a carry a CO2 pump when I'm on my road bike, but I carry a Road Morph on my MTB.

vickster

Legendary Member
For a track pump I'd recommend a JOE BLOW, simply because I've had one for years, (older model granted), it's been perfect and I've no reason to think it won't last many more years.

You obviously can't carry this with you on the bike, so something like THIS and THIS are what you'll need for your rides.

FWIW I use a carry a CO2 pump when I'm on my road bike, but I carry a Road Morph on my MTB.
Make sure it’s the HP Joe Blow one. The Max one is utter shoot for a roadbike If you need 100+ psi

vickster

Legendary Member
Dunno. I gave it away years ago, and I didn’t seem to be alone in the issue

I got a far better one for £20 in my LBS warehouse sale, looks smarter too

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You might even want to consider not taking a pump out on the road, but using CO2 cartridges instead. But that's a WHOLE OTHER debate, which could get quite heated. :ph34r: Personally, I'm firmly in the "I've always used a pump and it never did me any harm" camp on that one.

Dunno. I gave it away years ago, and I didn’t seem to be alone in the issue

I got a far better one for £20 in my LBS warehouse sale, looks smarter too
Fair enoughski, I can only judge the pump on mine obviously, and it must have had good reviews at the time I bought it as I'm a bugger for over researching every purchase I make, but I'd estimate that was probably about 15 years ago!

That said, although I use it on both bikes before any ride, I don't honestly ride that much, so others would give a pump a far harder life than I ever will.

As for aesthetics, it could look like a dog egg for me, it never leaves home and as long as it does the job I'm a happy cherub :okay:

Top Bottom