Air travel after head injury?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

Don't know if anyone is able to help me with this one, can't even get an answer from my GP.

I suffered head injury in a nasty cycle accident in late May which resulted in surgery. I now want to have a bit of a short break in October (flying off to Venice perhaps) and was wondering what the advice is regarding flying after head injury & surgery from the medical view point or from airlines/insurance side.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm not in any way a medical man, but a colleague had a bad knock on his head a few years ago and was told not to fly for at least 6 months. I know that there are different types and severities of injury, but better safe than sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Any head injury or surgery results in bruising and swelling. As the head is a fixed volume this swelling can result in various degrees of cerebral compression. Low pressure causes things to swell as well which would exacerbate any problem.

You're asking someone to predict the condition of your brain in 2 months time without being able to see it and be certain of it's behaviour under highly variable pressure conditions in commercial aircraft cabins as well as any potential abnormal depressurisation.

And you say you can't find anyone to give you a direct answer? Well, add me to the list!

So you're left with doing your own risk management. Is this your only option? Would for instance, a trip by train to Marseille not be as much fun?

You're asking a bunch of guys on a cycling forum on the internet whether your head will explode if you fly on a plane????!!!???

Are you sure that the damage hasn't already been done? Get a proper opinion FFS, or change your plans.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but get a grip.

OP
OP
V

vbc

The "thanks in advance for any help" obviously doesn't apply to to someone so obsessed with exclamation and question marks.

asterix

Comrade Member
As a fellow sufferer of a head injury a little over 2 years ago, I think that you would be most unwise to undertake such a journey. I certainly would not have done so in as short a time afterwards. I would have liked to, but have no doubt it would have been foolhardy.

I have chronic recurrent sinusitis, legacy from a 1993 accident. My sinuses (tiny air passages in the skull) are sensitive and highly prone to infection.

Almost every time I fly I have pains and pressure in the sinuses- takeoff and landing can be really painful. I have no idea about your trouble vbc, but I would advise asking your surgeon if at all possible.

If he says no, I'd consider Europe by land travel as suggested earlier.

Whatever you decide, all the best to you.

vbc said:
The "thanks in advance for any help" obviously doesn't apply to to someone so obsessed with exclamation and question marks.

Yes, I felt like I had been a little rude subsequently. Your finely-turned rebuke has been noted and accepted.

OP
OP
V

vbc

The latest.

Had a reply to the letter I wrote to the consultant who operated on me. He has no problem with me flying after 3 months from the date of my surgery but he suggests that an airline might.

Recently called into a high street travel agent to ask their opinion. Guy suggested that I don't offer the airline any information about my injury unless specifically asked. Don't lie of course but if the doctor is OK with me flying and I have comprehensive travel insurance then the risk is mine.

wafflycat

Check the *small print* of your travel insurance policy. It may be that the insurance company have it as a condition of insurance that they be notified about such injuries, to give the yea or nay on whether you are still covered and if you don't, you may well have invalidated insurance. Please check, or you might find yourself without insurance when you need it. Hoping it's all okay though.

Ramsey

It depends on how much severe the injury is. In the case of certain severe surgeries it is not suggestible to travel for next 6 months. I think yours is not that much severe, so you would fly without any problem.

classic33

Leg End Member
Your problem may well arise with the carrier, if you don't disclose it. How would you get back if they refused to let you fly back is worth considering before going.
The final say could come down to the captain of the aircraft.

Top Bottom