Airbnb question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is it Airbnb asking for credit card details or the property owner. I'm ok giving the details to Airbnb, but I would not give any details directly to the property owner.
It's Airbnb not the owner. I'm not too uncomfortable about that but I just wondered if that's entirely usual for bookings in the US.

It's Airbnb not the owner. I'm not too uncomfortable about that but I just wondered if that's entirely usual for bookings in the US.
It's not very normal, but it seems it will be normal and the way things seems to be moving. I've had passports scanned at hotels and of course always shared with the airlines I fly with. Somebody is going to have a copy of your passport online somewhere, that's just fact. But saying that, as a new company and concept I wouldn't be willing to share passport information with Airbnb and their security partner jumio.

Debade

Über Member
When we registered for Airbnb in the States (we live in the States), we provided our credit card details. They charge the credit card at check-in or about that time, we can't recall exactly. With AirBNB in the States, money does not pass directly between the guest and the host. Keeping a credit card on line with a company is not unusual in the States but I avoid it when I can. As far as AirBNB, our credit card is registered with them.

However, USA issued cards come with insurance from the issuer which I think is different from Europe and other parts of the world. If my CC is used without my authorization, the CC company will most likely (and in all cases I know of for stolen cards) refund my money. Since most CC theft is the result of duplicated cards (vs stolen numbers). CC companies in the States are just now putting the chips into cards making it more difficult to counterfeit the actual card. I guess stealing numbers from websites, etc. is still a low cost 'insurance' issue for the CC companies, since most CC companies are not introducing a second level of security like the 4 digit code used in Europe. USA cards do not require an additional code, just a signature, which is a joke. So, if you are self insured, I expect it is a risk but I am only guessing that the risk might be low. AirBNB knowing that a hack can be big issue for their business is hopefully doing everything possible to prevent it.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks @Debade. I'm pretty promiscuous about giving my credit/debit card details to all sorts of people but I thought that the passport scan was a bit over the top.

<<<<<<<<<<<<< Do I look like Osama bin Laden or something????

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use airbnb regularly in Europe. I have never been asked for a copy of my passport before arrival or my credit card details.

The payment is taken out online at the time of confirmation and so you have no cash dealings with the owner.

It may be different for the USA but I would contact Airbnb and ask them before sending anything.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sound advice from others, but as I said I'd ask her, here is the feedback from my chum in the PFRoC:

They do ask for loads of personal info just to verify who you say you are. You don't have to provide it but some guests might not take you without it. Especially since sketchier and sketchier people have started using it.

SD1

They ask rather a lot of information for UK bookings. I think I had to give CC information and a photo. I was in a hurry so didn't find anyway round it. Is it possible to avoid giving the CC information for UK bookings? As in them storing it. U.S. are always different as they will never forget 911. I was there at the time, it is difficult to describe just how devastated they were. Hell they even stopped shopping.

When we registered for Airbnb in the States (we live in the States), we provided our credit card details. They charge the credit card at check-in or about that time, we can't recall exactly. With AirBNB in the States, money does not pass directly between the guest and the host. Keeping a credit card on line with a company is not unusual in the States but I avoid it when I can. As far as AirBNB, our credit card is registered with them.

However, USA issued cards come with insurance from the issuer which I think is different from Europe and other parts of the world. If my CC is used without my authorization, the CC company will most likely (and in all cases I know of for stolen cards) refund my money. Since most CC theft is the result of duplicated cards (vs stolen numbers). CC companies in the States are just now putting the chips into cards making it more difficult to counterfeit the actual card. I guess stealing numbers from websites, etc. is still a low cost 'insurance' issue for the CC companies, since most CC companies are not introducing a second level of security like the 4 digit code used in Europe. USA cards do not require an additional code, just a signature, which is a joke. So, if you are self insured, I expect it is a risk but I am only guessing that the risk might be low. AirBNB knowing that a hack can be big issue for their business is hopefully doing everything possible to prevent it.

There is no insurance on the US or any countries' cards when it is used fraudulently or when its use is unauthorised. You make a claim to your bank and they will initiate a charge-back and credit your account if it was not unauthorised by you.

Top Bottom