Airless/solid tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
For an ebike I'd say marathon plus are a no brainer.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Crikey! It must be a decade since i last had a puncture
took me a a good 10 mins to get the ruddy durano off the rim to change the tube , a nasty shard of glass that had gone right through the extra layer in the tyre , had to use tweezers i carry to yank out the remains .I have just ordered some zaffiro pros as i am not over impressed with duranos TBH given how hard they are to get on my rims and the protection seems no better than anything else.I would rather be able to change a flat easily and have a little less protection than struggle in the middle of the night in winter time .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
i am not over impressed with duranos TBH
Just wait there for a bit. I'm off to summon a mob of angry peasants with flaming torches. We'll be back to burn you at the stake in a couple of minutes. Don't go away. :smile:

(To be fair, if it's a tyre/rim combo it makes sense. I always found D+ fittable with just thumbs, and easy to remove - I just got lucky).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just wait there for a bit. I'm off to summon a mob of angry peasants with flaming torches. We'll be back to burn you at the stake in a couple of minutes. Don't go away. :smile:

(To be fair, if it's a tyre/rim combo it makes sense. I always found D+ fittable with just thumbs, and easy to remove - I just got lucky).
4 tyre levers and only just managed to get it off without snapping them after multiple attempts and needed a strong lever to get it back on

si_c

Guru
took me a a good 10 mins to get the ruddy durano off the rim to change the tube , a nasty shard of glass that had gone right through the extra layer in the tyre , had to use tweezers i carry to yank out the remains .I have just ordered some zaffiro pros as i am not over impressed with duranos TBH given how hard they are to get on my rims and the protection seems no better than anything else.I would rather be able to change a flat easily and have a little less protection than struggle in the middle of the night in winter time .
I'm a big fan of Zaffiro Pros, had a couple of pairs of Schwalbe tyres never really understood why people get so excited about them.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm a big fan of Zaffiro Pros, had a couple of pairs of Schwalbe tyres never really understood why people get so excited about them.
Depends which Schwalbe. They make a wide variety from the type that come as original equipment on cheap (£300) bikes, up to things like marathon+ for great puncture resistance or various others for racing etc.

My previous bike (Boardman mx sport hybrid) came with Schwalbe Tyrago as original equipment, and they really weren't very good, and I was getting loads of punctures. Switched them for marathon+, and only got one in the next 2000 miles.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

Do you have a polo for an eye as well as a massive FUM?!
1636578079576.jpeg

I've had marathon pluses on my winter bike for years. Absolutely bombproof and you will get a lot of wear out of them.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Fitted the Marathon tyres today, surprised to find how normal they feel, despite weighing a good deal more. The 5mm of extra rubber feels alot more substantial than it sounds.

I think I was lucky last year commuting in the winter without more substantial tyres. Thanks for the recommendation for these tyres, commuting home today in the wet, dark, potholed B road, not having to worry about puncture is priceless :smile:.

51673940117_02e439b20d_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom