"Airnimals" look straight out of scrapheap challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
So where's Bonj gone? I do enjoy seeing him get utterly pasted in an, ahem, "argument" such as this one, fighting an increasingly precarious corner without recourse to anything so inconvenient as facts or evidence but, instead, mere preconceived opinion.
Is that a fair summary?:biggrin:

Try the recumbent thread in Commuting...

It did occur to me, he's never posted a pic of his bike at all. Afraid one of us might find something we don't like about it?

Or just embarrassed by the stabilisers...;)

spen666

Legendary Member
bonj said:
continued from
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=598&page=10

The same tired old mantras "you make yourself look an idiot", "you're prejudiced", "you're irrational" - change the record.

I've asked questions which still haven't been answered, namely (1) surely the distance the handlebars stick out from the stem, and the length the steerer tube extends above the headset causes a much higher than normal forward and downwards moment about the headset, putting much higher bending stress on the steerer tube, and (2) if they're any good why aren't they more popular?

Betamax video recorders were good- far better than VHS ones, but they were not popular

Being good does not equal being popular

Arch said:
Try the recumbent thread in Commuting...

It did occur to me, he's never posted a pic of his bike at all. Afraid one of us might find something we don't like about it?

Or just embarrassed by the stabilisers...:biggrin:

Now I feel that Bonj has let us down ... He's been hiding from us ;)

I must not do it............................

Well OK then.........

A few years ago Richard Loke actually prototyped an Airnimal recumbent!

That will confuse Bonj!

rikki

Legendary Member
Frustruck said:
Yep, absolute cycle speed records are usually held by fully-faired recumbents. I sometimes daydream about one with a carbon-fibre shell with a graphite coating, aero dimples and a boat-tail to reduce vortex shedding off the back.

How do these help?

Golf balls have dimples. They give them lift (with rotation of the ball) but do they make (let) them go faster?

Peyote

rikki;35392][quote name= said:
and a boat-tail to reduce vortex shedding off the back.

How do these help?

Golf balls have dimples. They give them lift (with rotation of the ball) but do they make (let) them go faster?[/QUOTE]

Isn't it something to do with breaking up the tiny eddy currents that create the drag as the ball moves through the air?[/COLOR]

Arch

Married to Night Train
Peyote said:
Isn't it something to do with breaking up the tiny eddy currents that create the drag as the ball moves through the air?

I think the phrase to use if you want to sound impressive is "tripping the boundary layer".

Of course, you only use it if you can then explain what it is to the uniniated, but it sounds good...
;)

I've heard (non-serious) discussions on whether shaving legs actually makes them more aero, or whether the hairs trip the boundary layer...

Peyote

Arch said:
I think the phrase to use if you want to sound impressive is "tripping the boundary layer".

Of course, you only use it if you can then explain what it is to the uniniated, but it sounds good...
;)

You're right (assuming the usual caveats about Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_ball#Aerodynamics

I doubt I could explain it even having just read it, but that'll teach me to try and get my head around fluid dynamics!

Arch said:
I've heard (non-serious) discussions on whether shaving legs actually makes them more aero, or whether the hairs trip the boundary layer...

A bit like the little spines that cover shark skin!

rikki

Legendary Member
Arch;35559][quote name= said:

I've seen comments before attributed to Mike Burrows that the hairs on your arms are better than a smooth shiny skin suit could ever be.

Some birds can fly (fall) a lot faster than any hairy animal can. So we should try to grow feathers if we want to be seriously aero.

rikki

Legendary Member
How fast does the vehicle have to going (wind speed of course) before dimples on the aero surfaces would have any effect on drag?

Can a faired recumbent travelling down a long hill reach this speed?

Arch

Married to Night Train
rikki;36357][quote name= said:
Peyote said:
Yes, it would Mike Burrows I learned it from...

I just googled and saw the speed of a golfball leaving the tee quoted as 70m/s. I make that 252kph, or roughly 151mph (but my maths may be out!). That's faster than any Human Powered Vehicle of course - but then it may be that the dimples would have an effect at a lower speed as well...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Yorkshireman said:
...I did see Marmite on the shelf. I asked one of the store supervisors (the lengths I go to to educate the younger generation) what the turnover was like for that particular delicacy ... She replied "Very, very slow ... Don't Know why we stock it, but it's very long dated".
That's because most people only have a tiny bit of it on toast at a time, consequently they take ages to get through a jar. Not because not many people have it. A large proportion of people have it and regularly eat it, but that doesn't mean a lot of it gets eaten because only small amounts of it get eaten at once.

Yorkshireman said:
Whilst at the supermarket I checked the bike racks ... Out of 30 bikes that I saw 10 were 'small' wheelers' of varying types.
I've never seen that...

Yorkshireman said:
Now whether these observations/results are peculiar to my area or not I don't know
I think they must be somehow.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Yorkshireman said:
Whilst at the supermarket I checked the bike racks ... Out of 30 bikes that I saw 10 were 'small' wheelers' of varying types.
I've never seen that...

Yes, but it's much harder to see properly with blinkers on.

Yorkshireman said:
Now whether these observations/results are peculiar to my area or not I don't know
I think they must be somehow.

Not based on what I see about town they aren't.

Top Bottom