AK53 ZWK Silver Nissan Micra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
ttcycle said:
Just as a thought, how would over taking distances be enforced on UK roads, this is where the problem is at the moment. My suggestion if you feel really strongly is to get involved in your local cycle campaigning group and push those buttons and get things happening.

Sorry to hear about this Cranky. Where's a decent handgun when you need one?

As to the enforcement, it's easy. All the technology's there; all that's needed is the will to use it. Ten years ago, London's bus lanes were full of cars. Now they're not. Why? Because tosspots learned that if they did it, they'd get a CCTV image and a fine in the post the next day. So they stopped. Simples.

We have, famously, one in four of the world's CCTV cameras in this country. They record all this bad stuff all day every day. If anyone in authority wanted to prioritise it, there's absolutely nothing stopping them.They just don't want to, because antagonising motorists is bad karma, election-wise. Again, simples.

If the government - any government - genuinely wants to tip the balance in favour of cycling, all it really needs to do is come down on bad drivers hard. Big fines, crushed cars, even jail - and plenty of publicity. It's not impossible to change public behaviour...it's not even hard. All you have to do is do it.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
[quote name='swee'pea99']If the government - any government - genuinely wants to tip the balance in favour of cycling, all it really needs to do is come down on bad drivers hard. Big fines, crushed cars, even jail - and plenty of publicity. It's not impossible to change public behaviour...it's not even hard. All you have to do is do it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

bigjim

Legendary Member
I understand exactly where Crankarm is coming from. I suppose I am a part time cyclist with 3 or 4, 30mile training runs and hopefully a Sunday run with the local CTC each week. On every training run I record at least 3 near misses. I'm actually waiting for them these days its getting so bad. On the CTC run there are always the near misses as well as a lot of verbal abuse. This sunday there were 3 incidents on a 3 mile stretch through Rochdale.
It's getting worse! Can't wait to get to Mallorca next week for some peaceful cycling.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
[quote name='swee'pea99']Sorry to hear about this Cranky. Where's a decent handgun when you need one?

As to the enforcement, it's easy. All the technology's there; all that's needed is the will to use it. Ten years ago, London's bus lanes were full of cars. Now they're not. Why? Because tosspots learned that if they did it, they'd get a CCTV image and a fine in the post the next day. So they stopped. Simples.

We have, famously, one in four of the world's CCTV cameras in this country. They record all this bad stuff all day every day. If anyone in authority wanted to prioritise it, there's absolutely nothing stopping them.They just don't want to, because antagonising motorists is bad karma, election-wise. Again, simples.

If the government - any government - genuinely wants to tip the balance in favour of cycling, all it really needs to do is come down on bad drivers hard. Big fines, crushed cars, even jail - and plenty of publicity. It's not impossible to change public behaviour...it's not even hard. All you have to do is do it.[/QUOTE]

Swee'pea for Home Secretary :smile:.

I reckon one could form a pretty sensible cabinet from the faces on here :biggrin:.

Tinuts for PM?

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
bigjim said:
I understand exactly where Crankarm is coming from. I suppose I am a part time cyclist with 3 or 4, 30mile training runs and hopefully a Sunday run with the local CTC each week. On every training run I record at least 3 near misses. I'm actually waiting for them these days its getting so bad. On the CTC run there are always the near misses as well as a lot of verbal abuse. This sunday there were 3 incidents on a 3 mile stretch through Rochdale.
It's getting worse! Can't wait to get to Mallorca next week for some peaceful cycling.

Indeed, emigration might be the long term solution.

That's why I like cycling when on holiday...Thailand was good when I had that electric bike.(Patong and Karon beach and also Phuket.

They drive like nutters out there sometimes but it's not malicious.Japan was good as well.

emulsifier12

When I first read this post I thought it was going somewhere. Now everyone (just like me) is rambling on about a driver who tried to knock you off your bike. What is the use of posting here on CC with the car reg if you don't report it? What if she does this to someone else and they get hurt or even killed? How would you feel then crankarm? YOU NEED TO REPORT IT!!!

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
emulsifier12 said:
When I first read this post I thought it was going somewhere. Now everyone (just like me) is rambling on about a driver who tried to knock you off your bike. What is the use of posting here on CC with the car reg if you don't report it? What if she does this to someone else and they get hurt or even killed? How would you feel then crankarm? YOU NEED TO REPORT IT!!!

No I don't and DON'T SHOUT!

And if I report it what do you think will happen? The Spanish Inquisition or a special forces swat team landing on her doorstep confiscating and crushing her car and banning her from the roads for life :smile:?

Don't see that anyone is rambling on. Lower your saddle and bring yourself back down to Earth. I have achieved my aim to make anyone else who happens to cycle in Cambridgeshire of this car. I will also post on RoadSafe website tomorrow.

classic33

Leg End Member
Crankarm said:
No I don't and DON'T SHOUT!

And if I report it what do you think will happen? The Spanish Inquisition or a special forces swat team landing on her doorstep confiscating and crushing her car and banning her from the roads for life :biggrin:?

I have achieved my aim to make anyone else who happens to cycle in Cambridgeshire of this car. I will also post on RoadSafe website tomorrow.

Why Not. Its six days since you first posted the registration & NOW you say you'll report it to Roadsafe today. Given the warning you put out about the registration, how do you know that in the six days it took you to report it, the vehicle hasn't been concerned in anything similar?

If you find out afterwards that it has been, coming forward afterwards may not be much help. If it had been reported, then maybe the police may have found both the vehicle & driver concerned. Thereby preventing further injury to anyone or loss of life.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
User3143 said:
How about because there were mitigating circumstances - namely what the OP called the driver and being dumb enough to be in front of the car when it sped off.
Morning Cat, let me introduce you to some friends of mine... Pigeons, this is Cat. Off you go then, get in amongst them. :biggrin:

Crankarm said:
Why would you write that :biggrin:?

BTW I have written an account of what happened I am pretty shook up. My leg and knee is soar where she drove into me - 2nd attempt btw at knocking me down. My road bike has a slightly buckled front wheel where the car's bumper made contact with me and bike as I stood in the road. Forks seem ok. But there were no witnesses as on a rural road, so no point calling plod, as they won't take it seriously and undoubtedly will say it will be my word against hers. When I got my camera out she cleared off sharpish.

I have had enough of coming home thinking I cheated death again.

Yesterday would have been a beautiful ride except for 3 dangerous motons.

Time to give up cycling I think or emigrate :tongue:.

I have tea on the go at the mo so might take a while to respond further.
There is always a point in calling "Plod"

If you have proof with a damaged bike, and a good description then go for it.The unlicensed status should be enough for a tug

Even if nothing else is done a quiet word or even putting her on their warning radar......... additionally (assuming the original details are correct) you can start a claim with the MIB for the bike damage

Give the bloke time...He's had a terrible experience.

When those clowns whizzed past me on Blackfriars Bridge as I was waiting to do a right I don't think I got over it straight away.Also I didn't report it.Will the cops do bug all?

If he's not happy about reporting it he doesn't have to.

Let him do things in his own time.

The good thing about this board is the ability to let off steam and moan about the poor driving and we have all had it.

Im lucky I probably haven't had it as bad as Crankarm but I have come bloody close.

Crankarm is dealing with it in his own way and I think it should be respected even if you don't agree.

IMHO.:laugh:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Crankarm said:
There were no witnesses as on a rural road, so no point calling plod, as they won't take it seriously and undoubtedly will say it will be my word against hers!

Thanks Crank....
There are only a few CC'ers I can help directly....You are one of them. Report it, if the local bobbies don't do anything, I will!
Back off Holiday and into work on Tuesday.
PM me with the incident number and I WILL chase it up!
At the very least you should have pm'd me the details and account of what happened.
Vike

Top Bottom