AK53 ZWK Silver Nissan Micra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Bromptonaut said:
Is the whole story in another thread?

It was on this thread but the OP removed it.

There must be reasons that he doesn't want the whole story on here, but to put it in context someone apparently deliberately drove a car at him and hit him.

(Apparently in the Have I got news for you sense :tongue:)

Report it to the Police. Thay may want to discuss other "issues" with her.

bauldbairn

mcshroom said:
It was on this thread but the OP removed it.

There must be reasons that he doesn't want the whole story on here, but to put it in context someone deliberately drove a car at him and hit him.

I'm not long in from a back-shift and missed Crankarms original post - but it must be serious or he wouldn't have posted it in the first place.

From what I did read he seems pretty shook up - I just hope he's ok.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks for all your concerns. I have had a little more time to think.

Originally I wrote an account of what happened. It was up for a few minutes but then on reflection I decided to remove it. In this time some must have had the opportunity to read it although there were no views of it indicated.

I am currently undecided about what to do. My leg is still a bit soar but will hopefully mend in the next few days. My road bike Trek 1500 appears ok save for truing the front wheel. I was not seriously injured.

As for the reporting side - since the reg and car do not check out this is sufficient doubt for the police to do nothing or file it in their box marked "bin". The other unhelpful aspect was there were no witnesses. This all adds up to loads of time on my part, with very little likely to come of it and lots of disapointment. Even if I get a really helpful cop which is unlikely I have to say the odds of even catching her let alone making a charge stick are slim to non existant as it will be her word against mine. In the past when I have reported very dangerous drivers nothing has happened or the officers who have dealt with me have had an anticycling attitude themselves which has upset me, thus making me feel that any future reporting of an incident would be a last, last, last resort. So aside from reporting it to the police, I don't know what else I can do?

I have been thinking for a long time now that one of these days I might be knocked down and killed. It has already happened to me once before in 1999, obviously I wasn't killed, but I spent time in hospital as my side was a bit mashed up. Strangely today's near hit was only about 50 yards from where my knockdown took place in 1999 by a speeding careless driver who couldn't give a sh1t - a Mr Frank Leigh.

I have been using the car a bit this week for a long journey and again yesterday. The weather has been nice and I have really enjoyed driving again as I don't do that much at all anymore. Otherwise the car just sits on the drive wasted, rusting. Anyway I was driving along yesterday midning my own business, listening to radio 4, cars came tearing up behind me, passing at well over the speed limit, but you know what? I didn't care as I was enjoying being in relative safety. If I was on my bike I would be constantly trying to outwit the close or dangerous pass to avoid being knocked down. On friday afternoon/evening I had taken a longer route home and ridden the same stretch of road as it was quite warm and sunny but was almost run down by two fat male twunts one in a Peugeot Coupe barge and the other in Ford Focus rally car who literally drove at me. The only thing that saved me was goose necking eyeballing both of them. The Peugeot Coupe to$$er swerved out from the gutter right at the last second. I thought he was going to hit me at 70+ mph. As he passed he must have hit his car's brake pedal as he slowed rapidly and gesticulated aggressively toward me. The Ford Focus guy literally locked up his brakes to avoid driving into the back of me as he couldn't get by due to oncoming traffic then shouted abuse at me when he squeezed by between oncoming cars using his car to intimidate me. I don't cycle slowly. In both these instances I was riding at about 23-24 mph and had seen them several times by looking behind me. They had seen me. It was bright and sunny and was wearing a bright yellow LS jersey.

I don't want an unhappy life of conflict and the risk of being killed everyday by morons who get a kick out of scaring or forcing you off the road. The whole culture and attitude in the UK is contrary to safe cycling. The problems are so endemic that whether I report this or not, will make not a jot of difference. I just seek to warn other cyclists if they see this vehicle and the nasty woman who drives the vehicle.

So for these reasons - the motons yesterday and the nasty woman today, I have decided to give up cycling for the time being. I can't take any more. I still have a lot of things I want to do in life and being dead would be rather inconvenient. I still stay fit running, walking and eating healthily so there is no chance of me turning into an sofa slob.

Safe cycling to everyone.

Oh, today's appointment with death happened on a rural road, just north of a roundabout on the A141, on the northern outskirts of Huntingdon, heading out to a place called Abbots Ripton. I was about half way around my 40 mile circuit. A shorter ride today because of the chilly strong NE wind.

bauldbairn

Crankarm said:
Thanks for all your concerns. I have had a little more time to think.

So for these reasons I have decided to give up cycling for the time being. I can't take any more. I still have a lot of things I want to do in life and being dead would be rather inconvenient. I still stay fit running, walking and eating healthily so there is no chance of me turning into an sofa slob.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you've decided to give up cycling - hopefully it is only temporary. ;)

I've enjoyed your posts/threads and hope you'll continue to partake in CC. :tongue:

All the best for the future Crankarm and good luck with whatever you're doing.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
slowmotion said:
Crankarm, I send my very best wishes.

Thanks SM. I'll still be on here no doubt, just an ex-cyclist ;).

What I do with my bikes I don't know :tongue:. Have invested so much time and money in them. Maybe I still ride them if I go on holiday to Holland or France? But I will be driving there, no way would I attempt to cycle to the ferry port or try to go by train. All that anger toward cyclists that is in the UK. Apparently even Vicky P gets it when she's out training on her road bike in team GB colours :eek:.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Crankarm said:
What I do with my bikes I don't know ;). Have invested so much time and money in them. Maybe I still ride them if I go on holiday to Holland or France? But I will be driving there, no way would I attempt to cycle to the ferry port or try to go by train..

Doctor slowmotion advises this course of therapy...

Sling the bike of choice in/on your car, and drive to Harwich. Leave the car and ride onto the ramp of the Hoek ferry for an overnight crossing.

You may be surprised at how well this course of treatment revitalises your spirit after a few hours gazing at beautiful Dutch women on cycle paths.

OK, OK, you know this already...:tongue:

God this is terrible,there are some real ar5es out there.

Hope you can recover and get back on the horse.

I know it's difficult,best of luck.x

Origamist

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
So for these reasons - the motons yesterday and the nasty woman today, I have decided to give up cycling for the time being. I can't take any more. I still have a lot of things I want to do in life and being dead would be rather inconvenient. I still stay fit running, walking and eating healthily so there is no chance of me turning into an sofa slob.

Oh, today's appointment with death happened on a rural road, just north of a roundabout on the A141, on the northern outskirts of Huntingdon, heading out to a place called Abbots Ripton. I was about half way around my 40 mile circuit. A shorter ride today because of the chilly strong NE wind.

Sorry to hear about this CA.

A break from the bike might be what you need - nothing wrong with time off for reflection. After a while, you could always consider cycling off-road or if you have a high boredom threshold: rollers.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sorry to hear your story CA, it is truly a sad indictment of this country's attitude to anything other than motorised transport. Depressing, really depressing.
Hope you stick around and maybe get your cycling bug back in the future.

manalog

Über Member
Glad your not badly hurt Crank. I think reporting it would be wise. By the way, how do you check if the vehicle is uninsured?

After my incident in Greewich Park I too was unable to sleep, the event keeps playing in my mind but I enjoy Cycling too much to give up.

Really sorry to hear about this.

If you report it to the police, in a few months they'll send you a form saying they are taking no further action. That form may contain her full name and address....

Panter

Just call me Chris...
bauldbairn said:
I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you've decided to give up cycling - hopefully it is only temporary. :biggrin:

I've enjoyed your posts/threads and hope you'll continue to partake in CC. ;)

All the best for the future Crankarm and good luck with whatever you're doing.

Very much +1, thats a real shame.

I must admit though I do understand where you're coming from.
Hopefully you'll be back on the bike soon.

Best wishes,

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Crankers.....you must report this to the police, if only as a fail to stop personal injury collision. They may be able to trace the vehicle....are you sure of the reg number? In some circumstances they can look into the cars history and even contact the previous owner to see who it was sold onto etc.,

There is also the outside chance that the driver has also reported this to the police with her version of events, so you need to get in with yours straight away.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom