Alan Bennett and bicycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

OP
OP
bramble1949

bramble1949

well it depends upon how much you like Alan Bennett's work but all four of us who went (2 male, 2 female) are of an age to recognise the 1970s.
Maggie Smith is extraordinarily good but if you are from Manchester way you may not warm to an effete playwriter from Leeds. My mum did not like him as he was 'spoilt' by going to Oxford but that was her way of acknowledging he was gay, i think.

Hardrock93

Guru
I thought the film was ok, but I preferred the stage production. A week after going to see The Lady in the Van, I was persuaded by my wife to go to see The Dressmaker, which turned out to be hugely entertaining, despite featuring little in the way of cycling action..

ScotiaLass

Guru
[QUOTE 4049935, member: 259"]I feel I ought to like him more but he comes across as very 'professional northerner'.[/QUOTE]
Maybe because I studied some of his stuff in college (many years ago on a pre-uni course) and enjoyed it. I like the familiarity of it.

[QUOTE 4049935, member: 259"]I feel I ought to like him more but he comes across as very 'professional northerner'.[/QUOTE]

Dunno about that, he rarely does interviews and when the Guardian called him and asked about him refusing a K he said:

"No no no no! I'm going to put the phone down very gently!"

Top Bottom