Alan Duncan: Idiot or right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
when driving to work I've experimented with differing driving styles. The one that gets the best on road results, and leaves me feeling my happiest, is the ultra polite. Look to help another road user at every opportunity and never being pushy or agressive. I find a smile/wave/nod can be a pick-me-up in both directions.

I wonder if some of the behaviour of car drivers is enabled by their disconnection from all around. An acknowledgement from a pedestrian or cyclist could well serve to curtail this estrangement. Certainly I read plenty of cycling advice that highlights the importance of making eye contact whenever possible. Maybe drivers would appreciate that contact being friendly or appreciative, sometimes, rather than warning or judgemental.

domd1979

Veteran
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...trians-should-be-hit-by-cars-115875-21039649/

So, pedestrians are supposed to thank car drivers for carrying out their legal obligations?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for courtesy on the roads, but why should a pedestrian be grateful to a car driver because he's been forced to stop at a crossing that had to be introduced because it's the only way of getting cars to stop?

I never thank anyone for stopping at a pedestrian crossing, don't see the need to. After all, in the car, no one expects to be thanked for stopping at a give way line.

I will thank drivers where they've stopped/given way where there was no requirement for them to do so.

Much as I think he's wrong (I tend to fall into the ultra - polite and laid back school of drivers), do we really need outraged comments from BRAKE and other campaigning groups every time someone makes an off the cuff comment that was clearly intended not to be taken seriously? Sometimes I think we're all in danger of disappearing up our own arses on our way to a new puritannical age.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rhythm Thief said:
...do we really need outraged comments from BRAKE and other campaigning groups every time someone makes an off the cuff comment that was clearly intended not to be taken seriously?
Maybe in a country where the idea of "teaching someone a lesson" with your car was so remote a possibility as to be laughable, no. Over here, I don't think it hurts to remind all road users of their obligations to each other.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I always give a nod or wave of thanks to drivers who stop for me. It just being polite, hopefully makes them feel good too. And to be honest, it doesn't take much effort does it. Rather that than be completely ignorant and ignore them!

A

another_dave_b

This is just another non-story from the Mirror.

thomas

the tank engine
I think it was a joke and I don't think it should be taken that seriously.

purplepolly

Alan Duncan: Idiot or right?

Only if this can be extended to all road users.

Rude, dangerous or inconsiderate car drivers for instance could be crushed in their WOMDs

Now that would solve congestion.

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
By law you don't have to stop at a Zebra crossing if there is someone waiting. Only when someone is actually on the crossing do you have to stop.

Not everyone has your understanding of the laws,iv seen people waiting to cross at a zebra and no one stops for them,some just step out and walk in front of cars expecting to have been seen and causing cars to swerve to avoid them.Whether its right or wrong,not every driver is as vigilant as we would like.Iv always waited for cars to stop without moving off the path,and normally when they do i give a cheers wave and rush across.I take the polite route which has worked for me.

Top Bottom