Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Boo hoo

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Who?

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Who does he play for these days?

ASC1951

Guru
He has been a knowledgeable and entertaining commentator, but I'm sure the BBC will find someone just as good to replace him. I know it comforts many CC members to dismiss professional footballers as brainless oafs, but the reality is rather different.

I like him as a pundit, but he's moving on. He brings outstanding footballing credentials and a staggering knowledge of the game.

MotD brings out a smile/grimace response when I see who's on the couch. Hansen brings a smile. Others bring a grimace.

I thought Lee Dixon was excellent and I like Keown... nothing to do with where they played. Of course. Lawrenson is an odd one. He seems sometimes to be embarrassed to be there.

Michael Owen, Danny Murphy and others will have to grow into it. At the moment they fail to hold one's attention.

I like R Savage on the radio, but he is too clownish for MotD. It's a jolly good thing that 'be-my-pal' buffoon Colin Murray has sloped off to commercial radio. He never looked comfortable.

And... (apologies in advance) Gary Lineker is a little too much like the assistant manager of a provincial branch of a bank to keep my attention. He seems to be a 110% nailed-on national treasure, but I find him a little blokey bloke-bloke.

Dixon's departure was a loss and Hansen's will be, but there wll be others.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
He has been a knowledgeable and entertaining commentator, but I'm sure the BBC will find someone just as good to replace him. I know it comforts many CC members to dismiss professional footballers as brainless oafs, but the reality is rather different.
I hate the passion that surrounds wendyball with a passion. The game itself, well it has its moments I guess.

Hansen is as an intelligent and articulate a pundit as you will find in any sport. Perhaps he is the exception that proves the rule?

As soon as Mark Lawrenson fecks off, so much the better.

PaulB

Legendary Member
As soon as Mark Lawrenson fecks off, so much the better.
Both were exceptional defenders and provided a solid foundation to enable our team to win so much when they were adding immeasurably to our team's glories. Amongst our fans though, one is well liked and respected while the other is...not. This was graphically illustrated to us at the 2001 EUFA cup final in Dortmund, These two pundits were in a big perspex box just to our right. On the several occasions Liverpool scored (five), Alan Hansen leapt to his feet, dropped to his knees in ecstatic delight while pounding the perspex in front of him in celebration. He truly was 'one of us'. The other gentleman though, the man who'd been Hansen's invaluable team-mate for many glorious years, limited himself to a polite round of applause. As I wrote, one is widely admired and respected while the other is politely thanked for his contribution while he was with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom