Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Boo hoo

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Who?

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I never liked Hansen, Jock git.

Thought they were a crap band of brothers from USA.

Nah. Jock Git was the Nirvana drummer before Dave Grohl.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Both were exceptional defenders and provided a solid foundation to enable our team to win so much when they were adding immeasurably to our team's glories. Amongst our fans though, one is well liked and respected while the other is...not. This was graphically illustrated to us at the 2001 EUFA cup final in Dortmund, These two pundits were in a big perspex box just to our right. On the several occasions Liverpool scored (five), Alan Hansen leapt to his feet, dropped to his knees in ecstatic delight while pounding the perspex in front of him in celebration. He truly was 'one of us'. The other gentleman though, the man who'd been Hansen's invaluable team-mate for many glorious years, limited himself to a polite round of applause. As I wrote, one is widely admired and respected while the other is politely thanked for his contribution while he was with us.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Both were exceptional defenders and provided a solid foundation to enable our team to win so much when they were adding immeasurably to our team's glories. Amongst our fans though, one is well liked and respected while the other is...not. This was graphically illustrated to us at the 2001 EUFA cup final in Dortmund, These two pundits were in a big perspex box just to our right. On the several occasions Liverpool scored (five), Alan Hansen leapt to his feet, dropped to his knees in ecstatic delight while pounding the perspex in front of him in celebration. He truly was 'one of us'. The other gentleman though, the man who'd been Hansen's invaluable team-mate for many glorious years, limited himself to a polite round of applause. As I wrote, one is widely admired and respected while the other is politely thanked for his contribution while he was with us.

What do you mean "our team" "our fans"? You should be supporting Colne Dynamoes!!:bravo:;)

Last edited:
I like him as a pundit, but he's moving on. He brings outstanding footballing credentials and a staggering knowledge of the game.

MotD brings out a smile/grimace response when I see who's on the couch. Hansen brings a smile. Others bring a grimace.

I thought Lee Dixon was excellent and I like Keown... nothing to do with where they played. Of course. Lawrenson is an odd one. He seems sometimes to be embarrassed to be there.

Michael Owen, Danny Murphy and others will have to grow into it. At the moment they fail to hold one's attention.

I like R Savage on the radio, but he is too clownish for MotD. It's a jolly good thing that 'be-my-pal' buffoon Colin Murray has sloped off to commercial radio. He never looked comfortable.

And... (apologies in advance) Gary Lineker is a little too much like the assistant manager of a provincial branch of a bank to keep my attention. He seems to be a 110% nailed-on national treasure, but I find him a little blokey bloke-bloke.

Dixon's departure was a loss and Hansen's will be, but there wll be others.
Succinct and spot on :thumbsup:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
No more robbie savage- he was an idiot, is an idiot and will always be an idiot.
+ keone was a thug so he's off the list too.

No more robbie savage- he was an idiot, is an idiot and will always be an idiot.
+ keone was a thug so he's off the list too.

No... Keown is/was not a thug. This is base slander. His unusual physiognomy and brutish stature lent him a thuggish aspect, but he was a player of culture, speed and craft. It was not his fault that other players were sometimes unable to avoid colliding with him in a way that compromised their own physical integrity more than his. It was hardly his fault if opposing players threw themselves earthwards as soon as he brushed against their shirts in an understandable and competitive lunge to get to the ball and make a clean tackle. To think otherwise displays a deep and worrying bias.

His use of language and his verbal clarity now that he has left the game he graced put him in the tiniest and highest centile of ex-players able to communicate.

One of the above paragraphs carries more weight as a statement of truth than the other.

Last edited:

brodiej

Veteran
I'm glad he's going.

He was good at the start of his time on MOTD.

I'm old enough to remember Jimmy Hill doing MOTD and Hanson was one of the first ex-players to actually add something extra by his punditry.

I think he's got lazier and less interesting over the years.

He's also been a long time away from the modern game.

Gary Neville is far and away the best pundit around IMHO.

He does what Hanson did only a bit better.

The real nightmare is who the BBC will bring in. After sacking Colin Murray for upsetting Hanson, Lawrenson et al, it would presumably be someone who fits the MOTD atmosphere (a bunch of blokes discussing the game in the bar after a round of golf) rather than someone who may upset anyone by saying anything too forthright

Leaway2

Lycrist
I'm glad he's going.
He was good at the start of his time on MOTD.
I'm old enough to remember Jimmy Hill doing MOTD and Hanson was one of the first ex-players to actually add something extra by his punditry.
I think he's got lazier and less interesting over the years.
He's also been a long time away from the modern game.
Gary Neville is far and away the best pundit around IMHO.
He does what Hanson did only a bit better.
The real nightmare is who the BBC will bring in. After sacking Colin Murray for upsetting Hanson, Lawrenson et al, it would presumably be someone who fits the MOTD atmosphere (a bunch of blokes discussing the game in the bar after a round of golf) rather than someone who may upset anyone by saying anything too forthright

Exactly what I was going to say.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Once you can get past his accent I was really quite surprised by Carragher''s incisiveness when he was doing a bit of punditry on Sky last weekend. He added quite a bit and came across as far from your usual ex-footballer dumbass.

However he is going to have to spend a shed load on elocution to get anywhere near BBC in the future

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Shearer for me much prefer him to Hansen (who i didnt mind) and Lawrenson (first class nobber). Its also quite funny hearing Shearer's excuses for the shite Newcastle performances.

Shearer and Dixon would be a good combo for me. Realistically though i couldn't care less who is on it i watch it because its religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom