Alan Shearer charity ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wonder if your allowed to can tag along

I for one wouln't mind tagging along for a few miles but I wouldn't fancy doing the whole challenge though!

wafflycat

I watched St David of Attenborough last night on 'Life in Cold Blood' which was about snakes. He was watching film of a rattler catching a mouse in pitch-dark night. His schoolboy wonder and enthusiasm shone through. Wonderful stuff!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
wafflycat said:
I watched St David of Attenborough last night on 'Life in Cold Blood' which was about snakes. He was watching film of a rattler catching a mouse in pitch-dark night. His schoolboy wonder and enthusiasm shone through. Wonderful stuff!

That was a great bit of telly, one of the things the Beeb does so well. The Adrian Chiles interview with Nicholl Cooke was one of those that wasn't.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mabe a question at the footballer of the year bash could be, What does it feel like when your leg gets broken? See the reaction then:ohmy:

Zoom

Über Member
I'll be watching this ride with interest; it's perfectly do-able (I did 600km twice last year and then 1200 all completely unsupported and not for charity) but for someone who's new to it it could be a bit of a shock; Alan says he's been doing long distance riding for some time now (not sure where or how, there's no Alan Shearer in AUK). Best of luck to them both but less of the "extreme ordeal" talk I hope.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yeah, but Zoom, you're mental even by the standards of most cyclists! They are going to be doing 190 miles on the first day, which, considering the interview I saw with Shearer last week, in which he said he had only just done his first 50... I think he is going to suffer.

wafflycat

Flying_Monkey said:
Yeah, but Zoom, you're mental even by the standards of most cyclists! They are going to be doing 190 miles on the first day, which, considering the interview I saw with Shearer last week, in which he said he had only just done his first 50... I think he is going to suffer.

Here's the radio interview

Yes, he's only just done his first fifty miles in one go. If that's true, boy, is he going to suffer... Chapeau to him if and when he completes it, but he seems to be horribly underestimating the level of effort required by the sound of it. Mind you, he should have a decent base level of fitness which will help him through it. But he's going to suffer...

Zoom

Über Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Yeah, but Zoom, you're mental even by the standards of most cyclists!

:biggrin:

You don't have to be mental to do long distance but it helps (although as you know there are a lot more certifiable riders out there); you just have to be focussed (usually on the next cake or sleep stop). It's a mind - over-matter thing. On my first 200km my legs simply went on strike after 160 (my previous longest ride), this is likely to happen to Alan.

wafflycat

I think that as he should have a good level of base fitness, he could do it. But I do think he's seriously underestimating how hard it will be.

I mean, I can do an imperial century in a day (at my leisurely pace) and it's not my 4r$3 that's sore, as my saddle fits, is set at the right height & my cycle shorts are comfy, but my legs do ache... And considering that they are cycling the direction of what is into the prevailing headwind direction...

Adrian Chiles should do it as he's a regular cyclist, but if what Shearer is saying is true, he's understimating. Especially if the weather is less than perfect.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
wafflycat said:
Unless, of course, you were that mouse ! :biggrin:

Top Bottom