Alcohol ban at Scottish football matches to be reviewed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
BBC news item.

Is it really such a big deal to go without alcohol for 2 hours?
The alcohol ban has been around for about 35 years now, and has worked reasonably well. I used to work at Scottish football matches every other weekend, including Rangers/Celtic games. Even with the alcohol ban, the atmosphere at some games was what could only be described as tense - and that's being kind.

I wouldn't like to go to some of these matches if people were once again allowed to sit drinking out of bottles and cans, or even if it was restricted to drink sold within the ground in a plastic container.

To compare football matches with rugby is naive in the extreme, it's a totally different ball game (ho ho). Are they suggesting that football crowds could be non segregated as at rugby games? I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

The new Murphy's Law

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You can drink at the football...If you are willing to pay for an expensive box...thats wrong
You can also buy less expensive hospitality packages, and get served.
Still, no drink between start of the game and final whistle.
I hope they keep it like that, my work at the football is difficult enough trying to control "vip" guest that cannot understand the sentence "no alcohol until it's over".
It's already a riot as it is, imagine if they are allowed to drink without a break for 6 hours.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'd keep the ban and reinstate the ban at rugby internationals. The only time I've ever been hit with a missile at a sports ground was at Murrayfield in the mid 70s when I was hit on the head with a beer can.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The only time I've ever been hit with a missile at a sports ground was at Murrayfield in the mid 70s when I was hit on the head with a beer can.
Cans, glass or plastic bottles are not allowed on sports grounds here, you get served in plastic glasses or paper cups for soft drinks.
For some weird reason, hot beverages are allowed. The lids fit tight, you could hurt somebody below with one.

edindave

Über Member
You'd think Murphy/Labour could find more deserving issues of inequality to address.
Anyone would think this was a cheap attempt to attract Labour votes from a certain demographic.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd keep the ban and reinstate the ban at rugby internationals. The only time I've ever been hit with a missile at a sports ground was at Murrayfield in the mid 70s when I was hit on the head with a beer can.

Seriously? You think they should re-introduce a ban because of an incident in the 70s.
I dare say the culprits are hobbling along with their Zimmer frames by now

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accrington played Burnley in a pre-season friendly the other year. One Burnley fan was so pissed he climbed the wall at the back of the terrace and fell about 20 feet! He must've landed well as he got up and staggered away.:ohmy: Why get that sozzled?
They sell beer at Accrington but at 3 quid a 330ml bottle i wouldn't buy it if i wanted it in the first place!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You'd think Murphy/Labour could find more deserving issues of inequality to address.
Anyone would think this was a cheap attempt to attract Labour votes from a certain demographic.
They have a certain amount of "previous" on that front. Didn't Anthony Blair and his crew try and bribe young voters with the promise of 24 hour boozing back in the day? It must stack up alongside the Iraq war as his lasting legacy.

Top Bottom