Alcohol free Christmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Its been hard, very hard, but I'm good so far.

I stopped in the summer, 26th July. I was drinking way way too much and Mrs B was getting a bit fed up to say the least. I love beer, wine and spirits. Well any alcohol really, my habit / relationship with it though wasn't healthy and getting worse. Drinking 8-10 pints and not really feeling drunk. Expensive too.
Evenings have been the problem, guess because that's when I drank. Changed my usual routine, pottered around the house, worked on the bike, went for a ride and bought a turbo for the crappy weather nights.
I'm not saying I'll never drink again, but after a year of being off the booze I'll think things over and asses my lifestyle again. Been to the pub a few times, just drank lime and soda
I've lost a little weight and my fitness has improved a bit. Just started running.....ouch my legs hurt
My new addictions are coffee and chocolate eclairs........ mmmmmmm
Love having a clear head all the time and waking up in the morning feeling refreshed. Roll on the spring and early mornings.
If you give up the booze for new years, it does get easy and rewarding.....I'll stop wittering on

Sean

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Shouldn't you change your name to The Percolator?

If it works for you though, well done.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Alcohol is a poison. For historic reasons it's "acceptable". I do like getting slowly sloshed but I don't do it very often at all. I hadn't had any booze for some months. Christmas has changed that with some glasses of wine - and tonight - my first beer in ages. When the current "cellar" has been eventually emptied I'll be booze free again for quite some time probably.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Alcohol is a poison. For historic reasons it's "acceptable". I do like getting slowly sloshed but I don't do it very often at all. I hadn't had any booze for some months. Christmas has changed that with some glasses of wine - and tonight - my first beer in ages. When the current "cellar" has been eventually emptied I'll be booze free again for quite some time probably.

That's how I'd like to be with booze, just every now and then and leave it without cravings in the following days.
Nice long break from it is the plan and see how I go from a year off it

I've been alcohol free over the period. Not from choice though - work on a 'dry' ship. It how things are and it doesn't bother me most of the time, however...
It's 35 C outside, warmer inside and it's been a tough day. There are occasions when an ice cold beer is entirely appropriate.

I'm convinced a couple of beers (and I do mean a couple of small tins) would be better for my health than what is available - Coke, 7Up, etc. free and readily available (fruit juices too come to it) I do find my self drinking a lot of it quite quickly. Stuff seems more addictive than alcohol. I can limit beer intake a lot easier and am more inclined to take my time over it than slurping it down.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I know what you mean as I too had got to the point of not really feeling 'pished' after large quantities of booze but now I've got that to the point where (having cut down) I know that I'm not gonna get that feeling but I do enjoy the 'mouth feel and taste but can finish drinking after 1, 2 or more without it really bothering me to carry on chasing that 'balancing on a knife edge' feeling, as that was the way I drank for years on 'benders' that could last for several days due to my working life (7 days on/7 days off 12 hour nightshifts for 14 years)
This Christmas I opened a bottle of Single Malt and 5 days later there is still a few drams left (it'd have struggled to last overnight before). Some people can cut down but others do have to stop I just hate the term 'Alky' being dropped on people or the comment "they fell of the 'wagon' for a bit but they're all right now" as I believe that far too much emphasis is put on the "you must stop" compared to the option of knowing its getting a bit much and just cutting it down.
I'd be very unhappy if I couldn't have a beer or two during a bike ride or a glass or 3 of wine with a meal, but now I get to the point where I can say "enough, you're not gonna feel any different" so just stop.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
No booze for me in 8 years or more....don't miss it at all...did have a beer on lejog two years ago and felt cruddy next day...out here most ex pats are heavy boozers...to my mind alcohol is as anti social and dangerous as cigarette smoking and drugs. Those that drink will always have an excuse why it's ok and how they don't have a problem, but only the strong can give it up. Most will find any reason to continue thier weakness.

Drago

Legendary Member
Only 2 small bottles of beer this Christmas. Mrs D is having a bit of an MS relapse so I need to stay with it. I virtually, but not quite, don't drink at all these days.

Top Bottom