Alcohol free Christmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldbloke

Guru
Spokey Dokey, I feel quite ashamed that I do not know how to reply to your post.

Me too, @SpokeyDokey. Bad times in my life paled into insignific
nce after reading that.

Last edited:
Spokey Dokey, I feel quite ashamed that I do not know how to reply to your post.

Sadly, due to having been married to an alcoholic for nearly 20 years, where it was a slow, steady escalation of drunken violence and abuse, I can relate to some of that. On the plus side, my children are quite clear in not wanting to follow that path. So to those who have decided that their lives are better off without alcohol, well done.

I really struggled with alcohol for most of my adult life, until I eventually managed to put the bottle down some 14 years ago. I feel so amazingly lucky and charmed that I managed to do so. It feels every morning like I have won the lottery.
I have witnessed many horrors due to alcohol (many my own) and it saddens me to see so many people ravaged by its effects. I am in no way anti drink, I believe there are people that unfortunately have a predisposition to become an addict, and people who happily enjoy alcohol with no problems whatsoever.
Part of my problem lay in the fact that as one of the former, I yearned to be one of the latter, and spent many years faffing and making excuses as to why this should be.
Total abstinence (one day at a time) has worked for me so far today & hopefully tomorrow.
^_^

david k

Hi
Me too, @SpokeyDokey. Bad times in my life paled into insignific
nce after reading that.
yeh, not sure what to say, powerful stuff, certainly made me think, thanks for the post spokeydokey

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
SpokeyDokey - I don't like your post......love it! I can relate to a lot of that, sadly. I rememeber eventually picking up the courage to stand up for myself (and Mum and younger Bro) - this incredible surge of controlled rage and strength came over me as I picked him up by the scruff and threw him over the kitchen table then whacked him in the gut. It was the only language he understood, so he got it. The silly old nobber still drinks but due to a stroke at the age of 57, he calmed down significantly. He realised he was nothing without family support. All those wasted years (for him) makes me sad. I'll never forgive him, but the passage of time has dulled the effects.....and made me a stronger man.

Top Bottom