Aldi aluminium Cob lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Lights in the daytime: I usually like to have a bright rear light in flashing mode (for economy) when I am out and about. I doubt it would make any difference to a driver who was texting or changing a CD, but it might swing the odds my way one day, and it costs very little to run.

I'm a big fan of a bright front light, especially in bright sunshine. I had a big lesson one day while driving my car. Long straight, slightly uphill, bright sunshine, lots of dappled shade beneath trees. I had the road to myself so I put my foot down. And then I noticed a light under some trees up ahead. I was puzzled and slowed down, and eventually saw two cyclists side by side, one with a powerful headlight flashing. I saw the light half a mile away, and yet at even half that distance the cyclists were literally invisible in the shadows. Gave me a bit of a shudder. I've tried to make a habit of having a front flashing light ever since, especially on sunny days. On dull days, things are usually much clearer to see. I have a tiny but very bright Moon light for this, which charges by USB and attaches in seconds, so it's very little effort or cost.

This is for riding out in the country - I would make different judgements for city riding.

Top Bottom