Aldi aluminium Cob lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Been using my Aldi rear one all winter and still going great,in fact going to get a front one when there back in stock

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Just to add , even though the Aldi one is virtually identical to the Moon nebula I couldn't help to notice that the plastic saddle bracket on the Aldi,s one seems to be made out of a more brittle plastic compared to the Moon,s one. Both of them are perfectly interchangable but the moon bracket is very slightly different in design indicating the Aldi lights are not just simply re badged Moon lights
I'd guess that the Moon and Aldi lights come out of the same factory in China, and that the extra cost of the Moon version will be due to factory quality control, advertising spend, and a measure of what they think it's worth.
The brackets will come from some other factory and may not be related - the Moon seatpost bracket is a completely different design to the Aldi one. I ended up paying about a tenner for a 50mm rack mount (code LAA554), as using a Carradice saddlebag renders the saddle rail and seatpost mounts useless.

Ooh, that's cool might have to get one....as mentioned above, my belt clip style broke and can't fit the saddle one to my saddle rails.

bruce1530

Guru
My clip on the rear light broke too - although since it was when I had a fall that put me in hospital, I’m not too bothered - that was pretty much the only damage to the bike!

However, the front light is starting to show some signs of corrosion - the metal “label” on the front is distinctly discoloured....

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Ooh, that's cool might have to get one....as mentioned above, my belt clip style broke and can't fit the saddle one to my saddle rails.
I'm sure I've got a spare belt clip lying around somewhere. If I can find it your welcome to have it buddy.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Just to add , even though the Aldi one is virtually identical to the Moon nebula I couldn't help to notice that the plastic saddle bracket on the Aldi,s one seems to be made out of a more brittle plastic compared to the Moon,s one. Both of them are perfectly interchangable but the moon bracket is very slightly different in design indicating the Aldi lights are not just simply re badged Moon lights
So can anyone tell me if the Moon RB22 mount is compatible with the Aldi lights? I'm picking up a new bike Saturday and would like to have the mounts on both bikes.
Until I get some mounts I'll just transfer the ones I got with the lights. (Hope the Rubber straps fit the new bike. I'm getting a Focus Izalco Ergoride Tiagra and not sure of the dimensions of the forks/Rear wheel stays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi Pete,
Yes the moon brackets will fit the Aldi Cob lights. The small square backing plate on the Aldi light where identical to the moon ones. I have tried and tested them and interchanged between them without any problems buddy.

nickr

Über Member
I find following anyone with ultra bright back lights highly annoying and can only conclude that the rider is a thoughtless, selfish idiot

Adam4868

Guru
Ive had a aldi rear cob light for a few years on a bike,its been through all weathers and although slightly discoloured its still doing its job.

I find following anyone with ultra bright back lights highly annoying and can only conclude that the rider is a thoughtless, selfish idiot

I agree with Nick (where have I heard that before). I like cycling in the dark but as I live just outside Edinburgh, the only unlit road is the one up round Athur`s Seat. More often than not, I get blinded by numpties using lights you could see from the moon. I`m all for cyclists getting themselves seen but some don`t half over-do it

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Just curious if anyone should come across this. Does anyone by any chance have a spare clip for these lights? Probably a long shot!

Last edited:
Top Bottom