Aldi.....electric wall mounted flame effect. Any opinions??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey, we have a 5' double rad and a 5 kw log burner, both can be on full blast, yet I'm sitting sweating in a swimming cossie with a knotted hankie on my head while Mrs Gti is huddled under a throw and shivering. Don't think she will be wanting to go and stay with any of the other contributors to this thread....

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
. Me and my partner were sat in front of it the other evening, but it made her very hot so we had to have it off.[/QUOTE]

Right...... I will get 3 of them tomorrow.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Did I get one? DID I GET ONE!!!!
I got two ^_^.
Got the first one. Got home and tried it..... was so impressed I went back for another that is now in the conservatory.
Cool. I was going to get the electric stove but reviews say they're noisy... so it's now hobson's choice; this or nothing.

Apparently they're supposed to be mounted a minimum distance from the floor/carpet. Can you advise on this please? (eg, what does the manual say and do you think it really matters?)

Also... where does the heat emanate from? (top, bottom, front, sides?)

MontyVeda

on mine the heat comes from the bottom , don't know what the maual sais I don't have it any more but the bottom of fire is about 20 inches from wooden floor.
Cheers. Where i'm planning on putting mine (in the hearth) it'll have about 7" clearance :blush:

@MontyVeda
IMG_1686.JPG

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cool. I was going to get the electric stove but reviews say they're noisy... so it's now hobson's choice; this or nothing.

Apparently they're supposed to be mounted a minimum distance from the floor/carpet. Can you advise on this please? (eg, what does the manual say and do you think it really matters?)

Also... where does the heat emanate from? (top, bottom, front, sides?)

Heat comes from the top only.
Mounting instructions were weird as it was (something like) 700 from the floor but only 400 below ceiling (where all the heat is).
I googled it and apparently its for aesthetics ie to put it at eye height when you are sat down.
20181010_175705.jpg

MontyVeda

Heat comes from the top only.
Mounting instructions were weird as it was (something like) 700 from the floor but only 400 below ceiling (where all the heat is).
I googled it and apparently its for aesthetics ie to put it at eye height when you are sat down.
View attachment 433607
Thanks for that Dave. Bought one and have no choice but to completely ignore the install instructions. It's going in the old fireplace so i doubt anything will catch fire. Those unused hanging brackets could be re-purposed to deflect the heat into the room rather than up the chimley :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks for that Dave. Bought one and have no choice but to completely ignore the install instructions. It's going in the old fireplace so i doubt anything will catch fire. Those unused hanging brackets could be re-purposed to deflect the heat into the room rather than up the chimley :smile:
There are so many 'mode' options I haven't digested it all yet.
The only possible problem I have found is........I set the temperature to eg 21 degrees. When it goes over that it switches off but takes too long to switch back on. So far I have simply touched the +button to get it going again.
Generally I am happy with it.

MontyVeda

My only gripe so far is the sound of the fans... they're not loud but they're there. Wish i could turn them off, but i guess I'll just have to get used to them. Just need to make some sort of stand for it (currently on a couple of bits of 4x2), and tweak the heat deflector a little.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My only gripe so far is the sound of the fans... they're not loud but they're there. Wish i could turn them off, but i guess I'll just have to get used to them. Just need to make some sort of stand for it (currently on a couple of bits of 4x2), and tweak the heat deflector a little.
Yes... . at first the fan did seem louder than needed but it quickly became a background hum.

Top Bottom