Aldi......my complaint and the Managers response.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just been to the local Aldi which we use on a regular basis.
For years it has been excellent.
For the last 4 weeks its been a regular thing for these same problems to occur eg the fresh orange juice is on the top shelf. If the shelf isn't full I cannot reach (I am 5' 7"). I therefor have to go and get someone to help.
The last 3 weeks have seen me on my knees trying to reach the back of the bottom shelf for items.......there is never an assistant to ask.
I get to the till and complain that "I am 73 years old, I shouldn't have to get on my hands and knees.......you should have the shelves stocked.
So today, 3rd week of complaining, I ask for a manager and explain the problem.
He says something to the effect of "the problem is, we stock the shelves and customers buy the products".
After me saying "look, all the staff here are lovely but this should not be happening every week, it never used to happen but it is every week now"
He then then said " you could go and shop at Sainsbury's. Everything will look pretty but you will pay for it".
At that point I gave up and left.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It's how they can discount stuff and still remain viable. Limit the costs - one of which is a bit understaffed. Ask a nearby (tall or short) customer for help.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I disagree, it's poor management, our local Aldo doesn't have that issue, they are always pulling stock forward to put the newer stuff at the back.
I agree. As I told the manager, this problem is new, its only been the last 4 weeks.
We sometimes use town centre Aldi (if we are in that area) and have never had that problem.
Having been involved in sales for many years (which is what they are) the correct response would be eg "thank you for pointing that out, I will keep an eye on it" NOT "You can go shop at Sainsbury's".

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am 5" 3. i always take Mr WD with me and if I go on my own and can't reach anything I shout for an assistant to get what I want. Make them do some work. :laugh:

wonderloaf

Veteran
I'm our Aldi we found out (from one of the assistants) that there a device built into some of the shelves for bringing the items forward. At the front there's a kind of bracket that if you pull it it drags everything forward (difficult to explain), I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if I remember!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Till queues at Lidl are always massive with loads of unmanned checkouts.
I accept this as the prices are low.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Till queues at Lidl are always massive with loads of unmanned checkouts.
I accept this as the prices are low.
Strictly speaking, at Lidl and Aldi queues are sometimes massive with loads of unmanned checkouts. If you shop at other times the stores are almost empty and there are no queues at all. (Well, the ones that I have been into.)

If I shop between 14:30 and 19:30 - queues. After 19:30, no queues.

It is the way that they operate - take staff off the tills when they can to do other jobs around the stores.

It still wasn't a very nice way for the manager to speak to Dave though!

kapelmuur

Veteran
I see that Dave is in Cheshire and I wonder which Aldi he uses. We use the Altrincham branch and there always seems to be plenty of staff. The manager is a fool to speak to him like that, I bet his boss wouldn't approve.

As an aside, I haven't seen any of their cycling stuff on sale for a while, unless I've missed it. I'm a fan of their merino base layers and winter tights.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You don’t get this in Waitrose. Always plenty of staff

I didn’t think Aldi put anything on the shelves, just left the boxes piled up ;)

There was always plenty of stuff on the shelves of the short lived Waitrose in Durham City - because no one bought any of it.

I knew the manager and did suggest to him trying to sell stuffed venison medallions at the equivalent of thirty quid a pound would be a hard ask in Durham.

Nice place, but only a tiny handful of residents have much money.

The store lasted about six months.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You don’t get this in Waitrose. Always plenty of staff

I didn’t think Aldi put anything on the shelves, just left the boxes piled up ;)
No......you are wrong there. Everything is on shelves.
Generally the quality is good but you get to know what not to buy (peoples tastes very of course). eg we 'used' to buy their cans of corned beef......cheap but very little fat. That changed to being cheap but full of fat.
But as I say, you can get most of a weeks shopping much cheaper than the bigger stores.
Edit
Things like lemonade are on pallets. Premium quality at 30p is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom