Aldi......my complaint and the Managers response.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
I’m 6 foot and it doesn’t matter if it’s ALDI or Morrisons I'm in I will get short people asking to reach xyz down please. Its not a problem and I don’t mind at all. Seems odd to me there is no one like me in a Cheshire ALDI store. I’d of thought it easier to do than seek out the manager and tell him his job.
In our ALDI I get the impression there is little time for any staff to stand chatting. Excellent food at a good price... just love their frozen sausage rolls.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its not just aldi , mrs ck works at morrisons and the shelves although stocked ( well most of the time ) they seem to stack em just as high .

MarkF

Guru
I am 6'1" and am forever reaching for stuff for shorties, stuff happens but the manager was really rude.

There is an Aldi near me, I use it when we run short, when a queue stretches, maybe 4 people & passes a marked line, another till opens immediately, it's pretty impressive. Still, in the main we shop at Booths (Ilkley) or Waitrose (Otley), far better choice & far better quality, sure Aldi/Lidl are cheaper but I am damn sure we eat less and eat better food at no additional cost.

These discount places, with their tiny "real" food space are fuelling our obesity crisis with their crap but cheap "food".

Last edited:
I am 175cm tall and are frequently asked by persons of Welsh Dragon's stature to get items for them from the top shelf, its what you do.
Here in Oz at Aldi it is not uncommon for persons with a week's shopping in the cart to invite a person behind with two or three items to go in front of them.

Mike

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Aldi is like a jumble sale in places. The staff have a 'get out the fecking way,i'm coming through' policy when moving pallets around the shop floor. Having said that,the late night Tesco shelf fillers have one big attitude problem. They also come at you with their cages and god help you if you don't move.:thumbsdown:

PK99

Legendary Member
The limited choice discounters work on a model of, as the name says, a limited range of products to keep stocks low and a low staff cost model paying good wages but keeping staff numbers low.

If you want staff around to help, the Aldi/Lidl are not for you.

A few years ago at the Waitrose checkout I dropped a large carton of yoghurt into my trolley instantly 4 members if staff appeared as from nowhere and proceeded to clear up the mess and go to the shelves for replacements for products that were too messy to wipe off.

If an item is out of stock on the shelf, there is almost always a member of staff available to check and get more from the warehouse.

If I can't find an item, a staff member will take me to the right aisle.

I tend to shop each week on the same day at the same time, and have a great chatty relationship with the folks whose still shift I coincide with. We swap recipients ideas!

I'm a foodie and like choice and variety, not a limited range.

All these things mean it costs me more. But the weekly shop is pleasant, not a scrum and chore.

If you choose a low cost discounter you have to be prepared to compromise on service level.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Tried Lidl and Aldi many years ago. I didn't look past the lack of choice, so it took me years to realise their products were mostly very good quality at excellent prices. I persevered because Sains/Tesco were selling me rubbish meat & veg.

I still don't like Aldi, but I shop at Lidl every week. Mrs L has finally followed suit.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The limited choice discounters work on a model of, as the name says, a limited range of products to keep stocks low and a low staff cost model paying good wages but keeping staff numbers low.

If you want staff around to help, the Aldi/Lidl are not for you.

A few years ago at the Waitrose checkout I dropped a large carton of yoghurt into my trolley instantly 4 members if staff appeared as from nowhere and proceeded to clear up the mess and go to the shelves for replacements for products that were too messy to wipe off.

If an item is out of stock on the shelf, there is almost always a member of staff available to check and get more from the warehouse.

If I can't find an item, a staff member will take me to the right aisle.

I tend to shop each week on the same day at the same time, and have a great chatty relationship with the folks whose still shift I coincide with. We swap recipients ideas!

I'm a foodie and like choice and variety, not a limited range.

All these things mean it costs me more. But the weekly shop is pleasant, not a scrum and chore.

If you choose a low cost discounter you have to be prepared to compromise on service level.
With a choice now of Sainsbury or Aldi, I can’t tell you how much I miss Waitrose....

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am 175cm tall and are frequently asked by persons of Welsh Dragon's stature to get items for them from the top shelf, its what you do.
Here in Oz at Aldi it is not uncommon for persons with a week's shopping in the cart to invite a person behind with two or three items to go in front of them.

Mike
Similar here. I will do the same and people do that for me.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
After 40 odd years in retail I have a lot of sympathy for the manager.
As do I, as in I realise he has an endless job.......but thats what it is--his job. But I was very pleasant and IMO his response was soooo negative. He doesn't get paid to suggest his customers shop at Sainsburys.

Top Bottom