Aldi, next week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS the rack is fine - have one on the missus bike. A little fiddly to assemble as it's flat packed - i.e. the sides have to be bolted on to the rack top.

mickeyt69

Regular
think ill be buying quite a lot of this kit and gradualy upgrading it as and when. looks pretty good for someone like me who is just starting out

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I got 2 pairs of those gloves a couple of years back (or very similar) but here oop north I only use them in early Spring or late Autumn, not mid-winter. I've got one of the compression tops (and bottoms) which make excellent winter base-layers, and I got a winter top a couple of years back which is really excellent quality and is my main mid-winter cycling outer layer... and it was only a tenner, as it was the last one on the shelves and was missing a price tag, so the till lady put it through at £10
smile.gif
. It isn't the same as the ones on the page now though.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Never tried Aldi before, but sounds worth a visit.

Anyone know if all Aldi stores will be stocking the cycling stuff, or is it only certain bigger stores? I'd have to go out of my way to get to one, so don't want a wasted journey.

(I know I could phone and ask, and I will if no-one on here happens to know!)

Cheers

Nearly there

Veteran
The last time Aldi done a big cycle range event like this my local store was stripped bare in minutes of all stock,i missed out but went back the next day and got what i wanted without the mass scrum witnessed the previous day. ;-)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Anyone tried their waterproof trousers? Any good?
At the moment I'd rather get wet than wear my existing waterproof trousers, but they were bought for walking in. When cycling they drag on my knees and are not long enough.
(But I suppose for £10 its no huge loss if they don't work all that well!)

Never tried Aldi before, but sounds worth a visit.

Anyone know if all Aldi stores will be stocking the cycling stuff, or is it only certain bigger stores? I'd have to go out of my way to get to one, so don't want a wasted journey.

Cheers

All the stores get stocked up but as mentioned get there when the sale starts because it looks like the looters have come back after two hours!!!!:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone tried their waterproof trousers? Any good?
At the moment I'd rather get wet than wear my existing waterproof trousers, but they were bought for walking in. When cycling they drag on my knees and are not long enough.
(But I suppose for £10 its no huge loss if they don't work all that well!)

The waterproof pants are OK. Had mine two years - one leg is pretty oily from my chain, but they are great when it's torrential. Don't bother in light rain. Mine are still waterproof 2 years on.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving

Cheers

As far as I know all Aldi's start off with all the items. I know Lidl have regional variations on what they have in.

It just depends what time you get there as to what's left. The fingerless mits I have I bought weeks after the last sale. There are some items and sizes that seem to hang about for weeks. Others go in the first few hours if there are a lot of cyclists living or working near the store. If you are passing before Thurs, pop in and look at the leaflet for this weeks offers that should show you what they will be having in.

If anything like last year the gloves are incredibly warm. The arm and leg warmers are good vfm too. Shame they are not doing the bib longs again.

+1 on the gloves.

Mine lasted me all last winter - bit small (S size) though so cut off the circulation to the tips of my fingers, going to replace them with M this year.

think ill be buying quite a lot of this kit and gradualy upgrading it as and when. looks pretty good for someone like me who is just starting out

You might find that years on you are still using the same kit and coming back for more :biggrin:

bobones

Veteran
The winter softshell jackets and trousers are superb, but the winter jerseys are a bit too long at the back.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Avoid the overshoes. I had a pair and a) they were rubbish, b) the zips failed on the 2nd ride. The rest of the gear I've had from Aldi has been great though.

I've got last years merino jumper and l/s jersey and both do a great job. I've not noticed either being overly long as bobones says. The gloves are great, though mine have seen 3 winters and far too much of a soaking so I'll be getting a new pair this year.

Avoid the overshoes. I had a pair and a) they were rubbish, b) the zips failed on the 2nd ride. The rest of the gear I've had from Aldi has been great though.

I've got last years merino jumper and l/s jersey and both do a great job. I've not noticed either being overly long as bobones says. The gloves are great, though mine have seen 3 winters and far too much of a soaking so I'll be getting a new pair this year.
I keep on expecting the zips on my pair to fail as I've heard lots of people saying that but touch wood, mine never have.
I've only had their running base layer and I can't fault them.
I've a few of their jerseys too and they are ideal for winter commuting.
The gloves are good indeed, they are ideal weight for me for riding in most autumn/winter conditions.

Top Bottom