Aldi Sun 10 Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did actually buy the MTB Hoodie, much to my surprise.

When I saw it online I thought, yeh, I really need that, not got an MTB, somewhat past the hoodie age* and it will be naff cheap looking. But it seems quite decently made, good YKK zip, cosy. I bought it for sitting outside the tent in - nice to have a change of clothes of an evening and I don't like the idea of damaging posher plasticy wind/waterproof layer or nicer fleece with cooking debris/sparks or whatever. I can't see me riding very much in it - too heavy. Be aware that Aldi has tinkered with its sizing - now larger I think for a stated size.

* When in teens and wearing a blue thing with a hood before "hoodies" were a thing/somewhat notorious a rather attractive girl said I looked like a pixie, which I think put me in the friend zone :smile: and definitely not likely to worry any Daily Mail readers.

somewhat past the hoodie age*

Just think of it as a cardigan. Works for me!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I'd be wary of those shoes. In my opinion they have a design fault. I bought the last version and although the sole has changed a bit it is essentially the same system and flawed if you want to use the shoes without cleats - ie: as a firm soled touring/around town shoe. On the best shoes you would have a complete sole and there would be a guide-line for a bit of serious stanley knife work to free the hole for the cleats. These shoes have a big hole manufactured into them and then an insert screwed in. Yes some decent shoes use a similar system (the idea being that you can flip back and forth between clipped and non clipped) but the Aldi insert doesn't fit well/is not screwed down properly and is not really flush. Mine lost the flat sole insert by, I think, catching on, of all things, my pedals. Yes, the design is that poor.

An exceptionally kind person from another forum sent me two spare screw-in bits but by then the sole on mine had degraded/lost a bit of material because of the extra strain. I need to try to sort a repair with shoegunk or something. They are comfortable but as I say I think the design/quality needs sorting.

If you do buy them and intend to use them without cleats I would strongly advise unscrewing that insert, laying down a healthy amount of quality strong glue, and then screwing the insert back down on top.

I bought a pair in the Spring last year and use them without cleats like you. I lost a screw but since I replaced it I've had no problems. You probably do more miles tho'.

I was tempted by the mudguards but couldn't figure out how they attached. Presumably they're for the rear only.

You quite probably discovered that the screw (I think they have quite a shallow thread) had come out quite quickly. Stupid me took a fair while to figure out that a fairly large section of sole had disappeared from my shoe - in fact I have a hazy memory that I saw this slice of rubber/plastic debris somewhere and vaguely wondered what it was. So this longer term abscence of sole material caused more damage.

Pity - I find mine very good on the bike and great for walking around London in. Hoping that they tweak the design a little.

toontra

Veteran
I was tempted by the mudguards but couldn't figure out how they attached. Presumably they're for the rear only.

They're supposed to push in under the saddle and clip into the saddle rails. However just tried one and it's too wide for all 4 saddles I have. Can't be arsed with trying to cut it down so it'll be going back.

I have the impression that a lot of "temporary" rear mudguards are pants.

For anyone who wants such a thing I can recommend this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Swan-...aign=Adwords&gclid=CO3y5Piqk8wCFY9uGwodgVMIFg

I put one on my Cannondale after the popped in threaded screwhole thing startled twiddling around (damn aluminium bikes) made fitting a normal SKS problematical. I found it rather elegant, generally stable, easy to take on and off (though I used it as a permanent mudguard) and it stopped mud.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Bought another pair of the black gel padded MTB gloves to have 'in stock' - exactly the same as the ones I bought last year. They are perfect as spring gloves for road cycling. The other non-padded gloves were impossible to even try on as they had very tight elasticated cuffs (the gel ones have velcro cuffs).
BTW if you want to try those 'ass saver' guards you can get them from around 70p up from Ali express post paid!

Last edited:
I was on a ride a couple of weeks ago and someone's ass saver dropped off on the road. They didn't seem to miss it. I picked it up, caught them up and gave it them back. They didn't seem overjoyed to see it again.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My full fingered Aldi gloves from last year are still going strong & have just come out of the washing machine like new again.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yup - wore mine today - it was 4 degrees when I started out and my hands were bearably cold rather than unbearably cold. They'd cook in warmer gloves on the way home !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I like my Aldi gloves for the reasons stated.

They are showing signs of wear, so I hoped to pick up a new pair.

I didn't remember this thread until yesterday, by which time the little-known outpost of the Aldi retailing empire in Consett had sold out.

Never mind, it will be fingerless gloves time in a few weeks.

Yes, and they are just the right thickness for this time of year when you are unsure whether you need gloves or track-type mitts. A great buy.
Yes, no need to spend a ton for gloves for normalish/mildish winter weather these days (deep cold another matter) - I have a pair from the long-lost Tchibo (used to sell similar stuff to Aldi/Lidl alongside, bizarrely coffee and cakes) - cost me a fiver donkeys years ago. I can recommend (though they will cost more than the gloves) Gore glove liners - with these and a pair of cheapo winter gloves you can get through most winters - well in London at least.

Top Bottom