aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

when exactly do aldi have the cycling gear in?
from what I gather it always sells out within 5 minutes so you have to be there at a certain time. So what is that time, please?

and is it just aldi or lidl aswell?

Membrane

Both Lidl and Aldi have cycling gear for sale twice a year, in March (summer kit) and September (winter kit) IIRC. Time to get there depends on how much interest there is at that branch. Best thing to do is find a branch where there isn't much interest and get it there. A branch where there is a lot of interest you have to get there before the store opens, take your place in the que and make a mad dash for the gear as soon as the store opens. Grab what you are interested in, in several sizes if you don't know what you need, take what you've grabbed aside, try it on for size (jackets etc.), then put back what you don't need.

Abitrary

bought some german salami, 3 own brand pot noodles, and a massive jar of kebab shop chillies for 2.87 the other day there

peterdowning

Veteran
The Aldi winter running stuff is on sale from Thursday 18th. I bought some last year and found the base layers, thermal socks, reflective bands etc equally good for cycling. In fact, the winter running trousers worn with a pair of padded cycling shorts work rather well to keep legs warm on the bike. For £7.99, they are a lot cheaper than leg warmers from traditional cycling brands. They look the part too.

Abitrary

I signed up to the Aldi and Liddle email alerts.

I never even go there to look at the bike stuff, but I still get a weird thrill zipping through the email looking through the fishing chairs and hungarian mung beans for a cheap heart rate monitor

Abitrary

Trust me. Sign up for the alerts. It's more fun than rummaging through the metal trays in the shops on Thursday mornings.

I think there was a similar thread on C+ about cyclists queuing like desperate housewives outside to get their ropey cycling gloves.

If it's a time / money graph, then the cheapness is going to destroy the graph in such a way that I can't explain right now

Membrane

bonj said:
only twice a year??!
why the bloody hell don't they have 'em more often?

There is the seasonal aspect that User pointed out. More generally, the low price of the Aldi and Lidl special offers relies on them selling all of it in a short time. So they offer products fewer times, and they stock less of it than they possibly could sell.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
this year there seemed to be a lot more stuff left on saturday than last year, perhaps because people who were part of the scrum last year, didn't need to do it again if the stuff was still doing the business.

how many pairs of bib longs would they sell a week if you could buy them anytime? i suspect not many.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Because that's how Aldi and Lidl play. And it works for them.

how many times a year do you need to buy winter cycling gear?

er... now? but i don't want bib longs or any of that poncey shite. just waterproofs if I ever need 'em. But i'm beginning to think even they're going to be pointless as long as I can keep warm, which I will do with any cheap waterproof jacket that's relatively snug-fitting, doesn't have to be cycling specific. Want them cheap rather than branded ones then I can get two sets and keep one set at work and one at home.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
but i don't want bib longs or any of that poncey shite.

Guess I'll be wearing the 3/4 baggies Sunday then?:ohmy:

Wouldn't have anyway, not in daylight.

Might be worthwhile considering them if you're doing a 46mile round trip, in winter?

Have you tried popping into Decathlon? They tend to have 'end of line/clearance areas'

Got fleecy lined biblongs from there £10.45 a pair. Couple of weeks it'll be dark, mornings and nights and I'll be able to wear them!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gambatte said:
Guess I'll be wearing the 3/4 baggies Sunday then?:ohmy:

Wouldn't have anyway, not in daylight.

Might be worthwhile considering them if you're doing a 46mile round trip, in winter?

Have you tried popping into Decathlon? They tend to have 'end of line/clearance areas'

Got fleecy lined biblongs from there £10.45 a pair. Couple of weeks it'll be dark, mornings and nights and I'll be able to wear them!

don't get me wrong, they're ok - i just don't really undersand them? as in, the advantage over normal trousers?

Top Bottom