Aldwarke toll bridge closure from April 17 to Oct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No mention in the article of it being a cycle route, just cars 😔

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
It's stuffed a good few planned rides for me, usually making use of it with one of the crossings at York or those upstream where it has split into the Swale or Ure.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Given its a private toll bridge they are going to lose income so I would expect they will want it open ASAP. Cycles and pedestrians are free as are motorists who are cashless albeit with some sharp words said by the toll booth man IME having sat awaiting clear passage to be given. They cannot really refuse passage as there is nowhere to turn a vehicle round.

DRM

Guru
Well at least the Scouts/Leaders camping at the Aldwark Scout Activity Centre can get a full nights kip without the constant god awful racket from cars crossing the bridge!

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Suggestion found elsewhere is that there is a footpath up the western bank of 3/4 mile pass a golf course that reaches a bridge across the river that connects that golf course to Aldwarke. Might be a trudge to try when the land is pretty dry.
1684097423789.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
I tried the above route on Sunday - kissing gate followed by a field with no clearly evident track , eventually a vehicle track emerges then the bridge is approached steeply on a curve with a step at the top. Decent on the other side eqaully sharp. No signs bar ones warning of the bridge ramps being slippy in wet weather.

Top Bottom