Alfine SGS501 in 90s Kona.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
A friend of mine has given me a wheel with this hub, 26" rim, disc, plus the selector. I intend to fit it to my Kona Cinder Cone, a late 90s frame, vertical dropouts, disc brake lugs.

it fits in the dropouts with 2 spacers that engage in the dropouts and the selector cable entry point pokes up at about 11 o'clock. Is this right?

do I need anything else? In addition, I want to use this as a commuter, so whats a good choice of chainring? Will I need a chain tensioner, as I suspect?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I believe there is a Alfine chainset that goes with the hub, might be a good bet.
Here it is:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainse...cs501-2piece-chainset-with-chain-guard-170mm/
Don't think you'll need a tensioner, don't have one on my kiddiewheeler folder.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
That's a neat looking chainset, not cheap though. If I have something close to 39T I'll use that. How do you get away without a tensioner, just manage a magic gear, or have you got some slide on the dropouts?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeah, you’ll need a tensioner, Alfine do one. Mine has a sliding dropout adjustment:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Magic gear is ok for a hub gear, if you're prepared to change the chain a little more often than normal. Hub gears don't like drum-tight chains, and an unshipped chain is merely annoying.

I wouldn't run a fixie, or a hub with a coaster brake, as a magic gear.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Tensioner it is then, as I thought, it's easy enough. The tabbed spacers as I say are a snug fit in the vertical dropouts, so that works. So the cable mounting is at 11 o'clock then?
Disc brake on mine, no need to worry about a coaster brake.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
I've worked out how the thing works and I'm wrestling it into a test mule today. There has been some swearing. God help anyone who has to remove an Alfine wheel for a puncture after dark, you've got no chance.

I will need disc brakes. I have Hayes 9, need a reseal, Hayes no longer provide bits, and Hope (early, open), also leaking. Hope don't support these, they say. Has anyone had any joy with generic hydraulic parts? It's just the seals, of course.
Failing that, any recommendations for inexpensive hydraulic disc brakes for an urban commuter? Or even mechanical, if they are remotely OK?

Gillstay

Über Member
You could take the seals out and go to a seal and bearing stockist and see if they can help. You may get lucky and find they are common stuff.

Top Bottom