Alice in Wonderbore...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just taken the family to see the much acclaimed Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland.
I know I'm usually un-aligned to the rest of the movie-adoring public, but this was yet another piece of celluloid dullness. Mrs FF fell asleep and I was dozing-off at parts. The kids thought it dull too.
Admitedly it was only 2D, but after Ava-bore I'm not impressed by 3D anyway.

I was really looking forward to this, but left the cinema feeling cheated by the reviews and the hype.

Can anyone tell me what was so good about it?

Noodley

The 3D was good about it...:biggrin:

dudi

It was as good as the 120 year old plot allowed... it's somewhat obvious that a plotline written that long ago would lack something in todays whizz-bang world of film.

I thought it was excellent, probably because I expected it to be a film based on the story, rather than some fantastical re-hash.

In 3D it was great, and although still a kids film, it was quite dark (in as much as a 120 year old story can be...)

ASC1951

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
J..Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland...
I know I'm usually un-aligned to the rest of the movie-adoring public, but this was yet another piece of celluloid dullness.
You are not in fact alone. The FT gave it 2/5 and suggested that good actors were struggling with sloppy directing. IMDb is a fairly accurate guide once you realise that anything under 7/10 is best avoided and it only gets 6.9/10. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014759/

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
dudi said:
it was quite dark (in as much as a 120 year old story can be...)

Pleanty of dark and macabre stuff from that era and before. Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. to name a couple of popular ones. Lots and lots of victorian ghost stories from a good selection of writers too.

It's a shame if A.I.W. is rubbish as I like Tim Burton's films although I prefer his animated stuff.

dudi

threebikesmcginty said:
Pleanty of dark and macabre stuff from that era and before. Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. to name a couple of popular ones. Lots and lots of victorian ghost stories from a good selection of writers too.

It's a shame if A.I.W. is rubbish as I like Tim Burton's films although I prefer his animated stuff.

I agree, loads of dark stuff, and I really like it as it's all quite subtle(relatively speaking).

Just that in these days of films and storylines that you can easilly follow with your eyes shut, counting sheep, it's not as obvious as many people have come to expect. which is a shame as they get slated for being 'boring'.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dudi said:
It was as good as the 120 year old plot allowed... it's somewhat obvious that a plotline written that long ago would lack something in todays whizz-bang world of film.

I thought it was excellent, probably because I expected it to be a film based on the story, rather than some fantastical re-hash.

In 3D it was great, and although still a kids film, it was quite dark (in as much as a 120 year old story can be...)

I don't agree about the plot's age, it just showed a complete lack of imagination on the part of the writers, performers and production people.
It does however make you realise how good the original Disney animation was.
It could have been quite edgy.

Lazy, lazy.

mr Mag00

rising member
i really enjoyed it, cannot say i knew the story really well. found it absorbing and great in 3D i agree about ava-bore though dull dull dulll

chap

Veteran
Fab Foodie said:
Just taken the family to see the much acclaimed Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland.
I know I'm usually un-aligned to the rest of the movie-adoring public, but this was yet another piece of celluloid dullness. Mrs FF fell asleep and I was dozing-off at parts. The kids thought it dull too.
Admitedly it was only 2D, but after Ava-bore I'm not impressed by 3D anyway.

I was really looking forward to this, but left the cinema feeling cheated by the reviews and the hype.

Can anyone tell me what was so good about it?

I have heard several comments made about the film, only one said it was OK. 2D / 3D, a bad film is a bad film, if the gimmick of the latest special effects are what counts, then that probably consigns it firmly into the 'dross' category.

Top Bottom