All Round Mountain Bike For climbing, downhill and general off roading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
For the first time in 20 years I am looking to buy a new MTB. Looking at the various brochures and websites it seems that things have changed a little from when I last looked. It seems to me that there are 2-3 subcategories within the MTB field now. With full sus downhill bikes, hardtails and others, then all sorts of excitement and argument over wheel sizes

I already have a what I call commuter bike, with skinny tyres which i use for well, commuting and general nipping to the shops and on road / cyclepath stuff. What I want is a MTB that I plan on using this bike for general off road stuff, be that the muddy tracks and routes around the local park (anything where the commuter wheels are two thin) or be it riding around the rocky trails and downhill sections of the Lancashire Hills.

I am of the mindset that going/getting up the hills are as much part of the fun as going down and are not seen as just an inconvenience.

Being 5'9" I am thinking that 650B wheels will be the sensible choice for this bike?

Budget will be around £600 - 1000.

Second hand will be considered.

What sort of thing should I be looking for?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go and ask on Singletrackworld, they know lots about mountain bikes.

Drago

Legendary Member
You need a fast geometry short travel trail bike, with good stable geometry and long travel downhill ability. It needs a short wheelbase for climbing, but you'll also need a long one for descending.

Ain't no such thing.

Decide which discipline is most important to you, and which you're most prepared to compromise upon, then you can start moving forward. Unless the downhill side is really important to you then a long travel trail machine may be more your bag than an All Mountain steed.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds a lot like my 22yr old hardtail XC MTB that I still use as my only MTB for all my MTB rides. Climbs well, downhills faster than anyone I have ridden with for a long time and does all the other tricksy little bits of trail and track riding in between. Is also super reliable and has served me well in the 22yrs since I bought it.

Maybe the GT Avalanche Expert would do the job for you. My oldest son has one and it is a cracking ride & spec at RRP of £750 but currently 2016 models can be had for as little as £525.

screenman

Legendary Member
I really like my Canyon 29er. I am shorter at 5ft7 but I would imagine I use mine for much the same as you would use yours.

A thousand pound will get you a pretty good hardtail. A modern XC one will probably do what you want. There's a shift towards making modern XC bikes slightly more trail ready, with a slightly slacker head angle, slightly longer wheelbase, wider bars, shorter stem and often 120 travel forks instead of 100.

If looking for a hardtail I'd look for a reasonable fork like a Rockshox solo air and Deore level componentry. A thousand pounds won't get you a full suss all mtn bike with the exception of one or two like a Boardman which doesn't review badly. If it was me I'd look at Cubes, Genesis, Whyte but there are so many that it's choosing one that takes your fancy.

On wheel size, it's pretty much 650b or 29 now. The characteristics of each can be read about online.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd cycle it to London for pick up for the price of a return train ticket. Or you could buy it you do t seem to have bought a bike for the last couple of weeks at least !
No point, I'm not really riding. Mountain bikes aren't my thing (a bit like they aren't yours?)

You could offer to courier it :smile:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
No point, I'm not really riding. Mountain bikes aren't my thing (a bit like they aren't yours?)

You could offer to courier it :smile:
I could but I'm not I know it limits my market I'd just prefer someone to view it in person if it was 100% immaculate then fine however it isn't it's been used and ime people like to nitpick over such things.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough :smile: good luck selling

You'll have a far bigger audience on eBay. I've never managed to sell a bike on here, and they've gone quickly on eBay, all good buyers, just need to factor in the fees. Gumtree another option

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Sounds a lot like my 22yr old hardtail XC MTB that I still use as my only MTB for all my MTB rides. Climbs well, downhills faster than anyone I have ridden with for a long time and does all the other tricksy little bits of trail and track riding in between. Is also super reliable and has served me well in the 22yrs since I bought it.

Maybe the GT Avalanche Expert would do the job for you. My oldest son has one and it is a cracking ride & spec at RRP of £750 but currently 2016 models can be had for as little as £525.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I decided to order a new Baxi 400.... Unfortunately New Bike Funds have been reallocated as New Boiler funds :-(

Top Bottom