All Round Mountain Bike For climbing, downhill and general off roading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Real downhill - AKA downhill courses need an Enduro or preferably a DH bike - talking 160mm to 200mm travel.

You'll want a trail bike, probably anything upto 140mm. I'd go out and try a few. Full suspension will add to the cost, but if you check out when Halfords do their Boardman discounts, and a British Cycling Membership, you'll be able to get the Team FS for less than £1000. I got a Pro FS for £1000 (2014 model).

There are loads to chose from, just depends if you'd like rear suspension or not. I went for suspension with my spinal problems, but am still riding my old rigid MTB as well.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Real downhill - AKA downhill courses need an Enduro or preferably a DH bike - talking 160mm to 200mm travel.

You'll want a trail bike, probably anything upto 140mm. I'd go out and try a few. Full suspension will add to the cost, but if you check out when Halfords do their Boardman discounts, and a British Cycling Membership, you'll be able to get the Team FS for less than £1000. I got a Pro FS for £1000 (2014 model).

There are loads to chose from, just depends if you'd like rear suspension or not. I went for suspension with my spinal problems, but am still riding my old rigid MTB as well.

Boiler issues remedied and I can get on with thinking about new bikes again.

I am strongly drawn to this

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...rdman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-27-5

My thinking is that I am not getting any younger and I intend it to last, so lets pay a little more for a bit more comfort and something I will keep likely for many a year.
There are a couple of minor things I would like to change on it, but they are basics like grips and saddle.

What I am not liking though is the low ratios on the crankset which is an FSA 38-24T served by a SRAM GX2 front mech
My current MTB is a mongoose alta hardtail with a 2x -3x - 44 triple.

It seems that small doubles are the big thing in MTB. Whilst i know the bigger rings reduce ground clearance I'd much prefer something over 42T so I can get places before teatime. On my current MTB I rarely drop into the 2xT ring. How hard would it be to put a larger ring on? Im thinking 32/42 or ideally 32/44? Would that mean a new front mech too?

I dont even mind a triple.but of course that would mean new mech and levers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The new thinking is 1 x11 - 1 front chainring. I have an old skool MTB with 3x and a Boardman Pro FS 2014 with 2x. There is no difference in ratio's so don't worry. I don't spin out unless going down a big road downhill, and you might as well freewheel with an MTB.

I'm very happy with the Pro FS for the money. Mine has SRAM X9 with SRAM Guide RS brakes.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
I've never really used much SRAM /Avid stuff but happy to try it.

The 38 just seems a bit small for my liking, a couple of the tracks and routes i want to try are 6-8miles away and taking the car just isnt cricket so I'm just concerned about the lack of progress.
I have a commuter bike with a 48/38/28 so Ill stick it in the middle and see how i get on, normally it pretty much lives in the 48.

Thanks!

Top Bottom