All Trails App

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to use gpsies which I found excellent.

For some of my longer rides, particularly at night, I use a point to point system, just marking turns. Some folk find this desperately old fashioned but I like it and can stand the time it takes to fashion the plots/files - gpsies allowed this to be done pretty easily. You could see all the separate points on the route you had dumped to it, hack out individually or in groups the ones you didn't want, and fine position the ones you did. It also had a very good system for auto hacking out excess points.

Unfortunately they sold out to alltrails, which tinkered with the system.

So even though lots of my stuff was moved over there I barely use alltrails - find it near unusable for various reasons.

I have the impression that its primary target is walkers/trail followers.

Note - I am not referring to the app, but the web page/application.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I have full uk mapping down to 1:10,000 cpurtesty of my SAR work so use Viewranger on my tablet. It's clunky, but has all the functionality. All Trails is ok though, if I had a shart phone would likely use it.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
@Spiderweb
can i ask what you were thinking of using it for?
I was looking for nearby MTB Trails, I know several near home but was hoping to find more. I’m regularly in Wensleydale too, I take my road bike and I’m familiar with the area by road but would like to take an MTB and fine some off-road routes.
Having looked at the app, it may be more suited to hiking?

I was looking for nearby MTB Trails, I know several near home but was hoping to find more. I’m regularly in Wensleydale too, I take my road bike and I’m familiar with the area by road but would like to take an MTB and fine some off-road routes.
Having looked at the app, it may be more suited to hiking?
This might give you some ideas - all those routes have PDFs I think (so you would need to create your own GPXs for those) - some have GPX downloads ready.

https://cyclethedales.org.uk/route_type/mtb/

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This might give you some ideas - all those routes have PDFs I think (so you would need to create your own GPXs for those) - some have GPX downloads ready.

https://cyclethedales.org.uk/route_type/mtb/
Fantastic @Blue Hills thank you.
Just a quick query and please be aware that I’m not very Technical, I have a Garmin Edge 1000, the only time I’ve ever used the sat nav style mapping was when I France, I used their ‘round trip routing’ which was excellent.
Can I download the routes from Cyclethedales on to my Garmin, the route I’m particularly interested in is the Reeth - Booze, Crackpot which has a GPX file?

Last edited:
Just a quick query and please be aware that I’m not very Technical, I have a Garmin Edge 1000, the only time I’ve ever used the sat nav style mapping was when I France, I used their ‘round trip routing’ which was excellent.
Can I download the routes from Cyclethedales on to my Garmin?
I don't know that model.
Does it use gpxs?
some more, er, "advanced" garmins don't I think.
I prefer my old Garmin Etrex20 and 30s (I have 3 for redundancy!) which do.
This might do the conversion you might need.
https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
though I know it might look quite daunting.
I now use it for plotting some routes as well to make my own GPXs after gpsies was swallowed by alltrails.

This might offer some photo inspiration as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/collections/

No GPXs or data files - some of the folders do though feature a geezer pointing at a map :smile:

I can recommend the salter fell road from near Wray to Slaidburn.

Me and @ColinJ did it - I have a gpx.

Can I download the routes from Cyclethedales on to my Garmin, the route I’m particularly interested in is the Reeth - Booze, Crackpot which has a GPX file?
You should be able to do that, however I've no experience with that model.
I'd imagine the process is to download it to your computer, load into Garmin Connect? and send it to your device.
Have you tried YouTube. There are videos for everything there!

Top Bottom