All weather commuters ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigbud

Can anyone recommend some good waterproofs please, have been commuting in the dry for a while now but want to get rid of my motorbike and cycle full time. Not having a shower at work thou means I really need some decent waterproofs :smile:

Jim

Gez73

Veteran
I gave up on waterproofs ages ago. I have the advantage of being able to shower and the use of a boiler room where I work. I now wear leggins and good overshoes. Never been that wet to be honest and I tend to sweat in waterproofs even on short rides. But as I mentioned I haven't worn them for so long, there are probably better ones out there than I have used. Mine were probably the lower end technically so kept the moisture in. Interesting question though. It's absolutely pouring here now so a timely query. Gez

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Anymore than a windproof and i get so wet from sweat that i may as well not wear a coat, i use rainlegs when its really heavy rain but otherwise i keep a change of cycling clothes at work just in case and my work clothes are in a waterproof bag so they stay dry.

Recycler

I use Endura gear. I do sweat a bit in it, but I don't get cold which is the main thing. I got back from a soggy ride half an hour ago and was comfortable the whole way.

redcard

Veteran
Not fussed about getting wet, so it's leggings or shorts / leg warmers plus overshoes for me. Always carry a change of gear when commuting.

I'm happy as long as my feet are dry.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you're cycling in civvies, Rainlegs are a must-have - much better than waterproof trousers.
http://www.rainlegs.com

d.

musa

Über Member
can i add what overshoes are decent to purchase? they do get pricey but whats suitable if u know what i mean

lulubel

Über Member
I never wore waterproofs when I commuted in the rain. I just wore my usual Ronhill running tights (which keep you warm even when they're wet as long as your body is generating plenty of heat) and a windproof jacket. The important thing for me was keeping my hands and feet warm, so I always wore overshoes and good gloves.

My commute was just under 10 miles each way, and I actually found it was better to do it without padded shorts in the rain. The pad just gets soaking wet and squelches as you turn the pedals.

And you don't need a shower when you've just had one cycling in! I kept a towel at work to dry myself when I arrived.

I also have no showers at work. I used to waterproof myself as much as possible with Sealskins socks, waterproof overtrousers, waterproof Decathlon jacket and waterproof gloves. The kit worked reasonably. My bike shoes invariably got water in them as I didn't use overshoes. My helmet didn't keep water out which led to a few water-down-the-neck experiences. I didn't bother so much about getting wet on the way home, but on the way to work I preferred to arrive as dry as possible.

Nowadays I don't bother overly with waterproofing as I don't like carrying loads of kit. If it's totally pouring down, I drive in or bus it - which also saves having to wipe the bike down. If there's the chance of light rain, I keep the Decathlon jacket where I can get at it quickly, wear clear cycling glasses to keep wind and water out of my eyes and make sure I have spare bike tights and socks in my bag (which weigh little and fold down to nothing) so if I do get wet on the way in, I don't have to worry about drying the wet kit before the ride home.

Altura nite vision jacket - I found the Altria waterproof bottoms were pants as the Velcro straps were only about a centimetre wide and a pig to fasten - kept coming loose.
I use Madison qtrousers and they are shaped and strapped properly, these are over Altura nite vision overshoes as wet road shoes are a pig to get dry in time for the return journey.
The bottoms and over shoes are light and easy to stow under the seat too.
For the winter I use the sealskinz neoprene overshoes and my feet are dry AND toastie.

D

Deleted member 1258

I use a light waterproof jacket, light over trousers and overshoes when its wet, I just ride easy to stop me sweating up, I also have one of the old fashioned capes I sometimes use, I cant help the OP with where to buy it from though, I've had the waterproofs for ages. I brought the light jacket of the internet, the over trousers came from a place that specialized in industrial kit and the overshoes came from the LBS, I walked in wearing my steel toe capped boots and asked for waterproof overshoes to fit over the boots, that was a while back but the overshoes fit well and have kept my feet dry on many commutes.

Top Bottom