Allen key - incremental sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Hi all,

We have probably all experienced this, you insert an allen key in a socket and there is some play, the key feels rattley in the socket and consequently there is a risk of rounding the socket off.

Is there such a thing as allen keys in 'plus' sizes, like a 5.2mm key instead of 5mm for instance? If not, any other workarounds such as wrapping the tip of the key in something?

Cheers,

Dave.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dodgy said:
Hi all,

We have probably all experienced this, you insert an allen key in a socket and there is some play, the key feels rattley in the socket and consequently there is a risk of rounding the socket off.

Is there such a thing as allen keys in 'plus' sizes, like a 5.2mm key instead of 5mm for instance? If not, any other workarounds such as wrapping the tip of the key in something?

Cheers,

Dave.

There are metric and imperial ones. I rounded off a small (3mm) allen bolt not long ago and was saved by a brilliant tip from Smokin Joe - tap in a slightly oversized torx bit. I know you haven't actually knackered it yet, but the rattley feeling is ominous...

OP
OP
D

dodgy

theclaud said:
There are metric and imperial ones. I rounded off a small (3mm) allen bolt not long ago and was saved by a brilliant tip from Smokin Joe - tap in a slightly oversized torx bit. I know you haven't actually knackered it yet, but the rattley feeling is ominous...

Exactly the kind of tip I'm looking for, cheers :smile: I'm not actually working on any problematic allen sockets right now, but I know from experience it can happen, so was interested to learn from other's experiences for the next time.

Dave.

Replace the bolt once you have got it out.

Rounding these heads off is usually cause by using a metric in an imperial or the other way around, or just not putting the key all the way in to the head before leaning on it.

Use decent quality keys. Avoid poundshop ones. The socket type that fit onto a rachet handle I find generally better (plus they are easier to tap into bolt if needed to make sure they are fully home)

Finally if you do round a bolt off give the wrong type of keys a try. ie. an imperial one in a metric bolt and a tap in with a hammer. Similar to using a torx bit.
If you can get access to the head a pair of vice-grips may do the job. If not, and as a final resort drill it!

Mr Pig

very-near said:
Replace the bolt once you have got it out.

Good advice. If you know the bike has metric bolts then it's odds on the bolt is worn. Worn bolts will just damage the keys you use on them, giving you more issues at a later date. Any worn fasteners are best replaced soon as.

tyred

Legendary Member
Well used allen keys rarely fit tightly in my experience.

Besides, unless you have had the bike from new, there is a fair chance someone has butchered it in the past.

Llama

Veteran
I use wera allen keys - they start at £10 for a set - for the pros out there they go up to £20 - they are however the best available and will not round out bolts so often!
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78506...eys/9-Piece-Hex-Plus-Hexagon-Key-Set-Ball-End

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=57425701

Top Bottom