Alleweder A4 Velomobile for sale in Witney

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
On Facebook @ £3.4k.

For years I've wanted a velomobile as I love the idea of the rapid, comfortable progress they allow. Sadly I don't think I'll ever own one thanks to their cost, scarcity and fear of getting my head run over by an HGV thanks to our dire cycling infrastructure.

This one's just up the road from me and once more has piqued my interest.. I'm not enough of a scumbag to view / pretend to be a serious buyer just for a test-ride, although I'm tempted to drop him a message and see if he'll let me rent it for half an hour just for the experience!

Might be of interest to a CC member more monied and adventurous than myself..?

I wonder whether they're practical in our more hilly areas. The idea of me being faster riding a velomobile than my upright or touring recumbent with the roads and hills we have here. Well it does not compute!

I saw a few in Netherlands one tour. Their natural home I think.

Must admit, my "would like to try" bike is a "fast" recumbent. Deliberate use of quotation marks around the fast word because I don't think I have an engine to be fast. I would like to find out if I'm faster on one than my SMGT. Would I enjoy riding a fast bike more when unloaded.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yes, I suspect it'll royally suck on hills - although if you've got the stones I suspect you could hit some pretty significant speeds on the way down!

It's no surprise that these are so common in NL tbh; thanks to their lack of hills and excellent cycling infrastructure. I'd like to try a 'bent too for similar reasons, although again am put off by the same problems (although granted the cost and weight shouldn't be as much of an issue).

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes, I suspect it'll royally suck on hills - although if you've got the stones I suspect you could hit some pretty significant speeds on the way down!

It's no surprise that these are so common in NL tbh; thanks to their lack of hills and excellent cycling infrastructure. I'd like to try a 'bent too for similar reasons, although again am put off by the same problems (although granted the cost and weight shouldn't be as much of an issue).
The prevalence of windy days and lack of shelter in NL would also make one appealing. I have too many memories of whole days riding at 6 or 8 mph over there!

I've been looking at a streamer for my smgt for comfort reasons. Do they offer much weather protection? Are they fitted by a ring bracket around the boom? Can't tell from the HPV website photos.

All uphill

Still rolling along
6 to 8 mph? Is that slow? 8 mph is our typical speed as a family whether loaded up or not.
Maximum effort for hours on end into driving rain; that's what I call a great holiday^_^

No hills in Netherlands? Hmm! The dunes North of Ijmeuden are hilly enough for me when loaded up.

I once had a friend in a walking club I was part of. She was into ticklists of hills and other things. Munroes, wainwright's, Marilyns, Corbett, etc. One she got interested in was county high points but also national high points.

Did you know which European country had the lowest national high point? Not Netherlands.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, the Vaalserberg (highest point in mainland Netherlands) is a shade over 1000 feet. Signal de Botrange in Belgium is just under 700m, unless you go up the steps.
I bet it's somewhere like Denmark. Or Vatican City.
Luxembourg, they did three different surveys over the years, using different methods, and got a different highest point each time...

Top Bottom