Allez 2023 Sport or Cannondale Synapse 1 alloy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Easily resolved with p clips or a change of seat post collar.

Wouldn't quite call that "resolved" as it'd probably do but would be less preferable than mounting to proper bosses.

As for the OP's question; I'd advise against going new as it seems to offer increasingly terrible value versus the uncharacteristically good value currently of buying used.

Also while I admire the one bike mantra, for me a road bike makes a less than ideal utility hack and I'd be tempted to look at two different used bikes which will allow a wider range of attributes and allow you to keep the sporty job in better nick..

vickster

Legendary Member
Wouldn't quite call that "resolved" as it'd probably do but would be less preferable than mounting to proper bosses.

As for the OP's question; I'd advise against going new as it seems to offer increasingly terrible value versus the uncharacteristically good value currently of buying used.

Also while I admire the one bike mantra, for me a road bike makes a less than ideal utility hack and I'd be tempted to look at two different used bikes which will allow a wider range of attributes and allow you to keep the sporty job in better nick..

P clips have worked perfectly on my Genesis Eq for 10 years and 12000 miles…but the OP can pay rather more for a different bike if s/he prefers

Jameshow

Veteran
Ah yeah you're right, sorry I mistyped that - was meaning in comparison to the Cannondale which seems to just be some in-house generic rims

They were rubbish bits... Loads of issues. Not sure what they are like lately!

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
Indeed, something like this is cheaper and better specced than either the Allez or Synapse
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-725-disc-green-shimano-tiagra/?childSku=BB725CRG001

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Some of the Ribble stuff seemed a really good deal and I ended up going for a Ribble Endurance Al Disc "Enthusiast" (105) build after popping down to their showroom for some fitting advice.

I decided to solve the rack issue by ordering one of the Old Man Mountain thru-axle mounting kits along with their Divide rack and a seat clamp with rack threads.

Should have it all set up sometime next week and will report back!

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
Thanks again everyone for your help on this, I really appreciated it. I have received the Ribble Endurance Al Enthusiast earlier this month and been for some great rides so far, around 250 miles total and I have sought out the local bike club in my new area as well.

Positives:
- I visited their Lancashire showroom and got some basic fitting advice (ie frame size choice), they were quite helpful
- I still think it was a great value purchase overall and I think the bike is thoughtfully designed down to the details and well spec'd.
- I'm pretty happy with the Old Man Mountain pannier solution which I've managed to fit successfully, as I really only have space and budget for one bike that has to do-it-all from fast summer club rides to harsh winter commuting. I think OMM is a great option here and would hopefully avoid any pitfalls of loading a racier frame with cargo (eg this horror story on reddit) - especially as Ribble flip-flopped between their website which said the frame is not suitable for panniers versus their staff who said it would be fine to mount a rack on what is probably intended as a mudguard only frame hole.

Negatives from Ribble side:
- actually customising any of the options on the bike (eg different stem length) would've delayed the dispatch by several weeks so I was advised to not bother, which somewhat detracts from that selling point
- they prominently advertise a 30 day test ride whereby if your bike fit isn't great, you can return the bike for a refund or exchange although with some restocking fees involved. I've been considering going for a basic bike fitting at LBS and contacted Ribble just saying "I'm still in my test ride period, if the fit advice comes back advising to swap for say a longer stem, can we be pragmatic about this and just arrange a stem exchange by post rather than sending the entire bike back and forth" and their answer was basically no - somewhat surprising for me really, if you decide you're willing to take the risk that a customer sends their now used bike back for a refund minus a £80 restocking fee then why not consider doing the same for basic components individually, considering most decent LBS would fit on purchase and exchange for free on the spot
- don't feel I'm getting on with their stock Prologo Kappa RS saddle and will possibly swap the basic Specialized BG off my Tricross, not a big deal there though
- it is only a 3 year warranty even on the frame + fork although they vaguely mention an out-of-warranty preferential pricing / crash replacement type service

Overall really enjoying the bike and hoping for many years of faithful service!

adamhearn

Veteran
Sadly a lot of bike showrooms offer little in the way of "customisation/fitting". Most LBS's live by their service and having the bike fitted around you is definitely a plus point [albeit you're likely spending a little more]. I've never bought [a bike] from Ribble but when visiting one of the stores I got the feeling it was pretty much as you described. I suspect you're unlikely to get much in the way of true after-sales service but you may be OK...

Saddles are always a personal preference. Even if you use an existing saddle you may find the pressure/fit points are different due to the geometry but certainly give it a go.

Warranty seems short but I guess you knew that on purchase anyways?

Glad you're enjoying it; that's all what matters!

Top Bottom