Allez 2023 Sport or Cannondale Synapse 1 alloy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawk

Veteran
Hi folks,

My 12 year old Tricross is at the end of the line and I'm looking for my next do-it-all bike. I'd be doing mostly rural commuting (13miles each way) but also possibly some sportives down the line, fast club rides or some endurance days/touring. I'd really need sturdy panniers - I'm guilty of fairly heavyweight cargo compared to most commuters and managed to previously jam then break the pannier bolt on my tricross inside the frame. I'd also need enough gear range to get up steep Scottish hills when loaded.

The new Specialized Allez 2023 comes with disk brakes allowing 35mm tyres, which is quite versatile because I have used ice tyres to commute before, on shorter commutes admittedly. The mechanical disk brake option costs £1,100 and is Claris shifters etc, whereas the Allez Sport (which I'd be more inclined to go for) is £1,600 and upgrades to Tiagra and hydraulic disk brakes. It also comes with tubeless-ready rims which seems useful although not sure if I'd go down that route in future.

One alternative I can see is the Cannondale Synapse 1 which is a similar £1,650 RRP although now available in sales from around the £1,100 mark from some stores (eg link). It also has eyelets for the pannier and the same Tiagra hydraulic disk brakes and a slightly wider gear range (11-34), otherwise extremely similar spec.

What are the main differences between those options? Is the Allez really still so much more of a pure racer now that the 2023 model has been made more "versatile"? I also don't really see what the £500 price difference would be paying for, is it just that it's the latest model from Specialized which might end up similarly discounted a few months down the line? And are there any other obvious contenders to consider in this category?

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the Cannondale have a press fit bottom bracket? Personally I’d avoid like the plague on a bike that’s going to do lots of miles in all weathers.

2024 models will launch in September so yes, it’s likely the overpriced 2023 will be reduced in due course. £1100 for an alu frame with Claris and mechanical disks just seems obscene!

It isn’t what you want but you can get a carbon Vitus with Tiagra and Spyres (the best mechanical disks) from Wiggle for £800 as an example. Maybe see what else they have?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have no idea about the new bikes, but if the Tricross has met your needs for 12 years why not consider giving it a refresh? £500 would be plenty for new gears, cables, pads and bar tape and leave you £1000 for a tour?

And if the frame is knackered through nothing he’s done and he’s had from new, it should be covered by Specialized warranty!

What are the main differences between those options?

I've had an Allez and Synapse (although carbon) in the past and found the Spesh more 'racy' of the two. Sounds like you are after a more endurance type bike so probably the Synapse. Wouldn't pay that for a new one though when you can get carbon higher spec cheaper second hand?

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
if the Tricross has met your needs for 12 years why not consider giving it a refresh?

There was some frame damage from the pannier incident that ended with someone drilling an additional hole in the a part of the frame that I think is structural, so I don't quite trust it anymore alas. Also the pannier bosses in the seat stays have failed and it's been back and forth to the local Specialized shop with not much success soundly repairing those. There were also some maintenance elements I disliked, such as having to line up the brake pads with the rim each time I changed pads on the caliper braking system. The triple front ring was also a bit unreliable really, the chain did come off at inopportune moments despite my efforts to adjust.

I also think I'd appreciate the upgrade to disk brakes and maybe something slightly "racier", I did feel the tricross was quite a bit less agile in the corners on club rides or sportives and I struggled with cornering confidence despite more than holding my own on the straights. I remember one sportive where I think the person trailing me got frustrated with how hard I was braking in approach to corners on a downhill!

I've had an Allez and Synapse (although carbon) in the past and found the Spesh more 'racy' of the two.
Haven't they changed the 2023 Allez geometry to make it a bit more endurancey? And actually yeah see above about the cornering performance, I reckon maybe the Allez would be a bit better on that front still?

get carbon higher spec cheaper second hand?
Is carbon a good choice here if I want to put pannier racks and potentially do heavy commutes/tours?

Does the Cannondale have a press fit bottom bracket? Personally I’d avoid like the plague on a bike that’s going to do lots of miles in all weathers.
I don't know actually and have been unsuccessful in googling it!

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I wouldn't spend £400 for the spez over the Cannondale. They will be within 100gms if each other weight wise. Spez likely to be racier as Cannondale have the optimo and the caad13 for racers.

Look at the vitus as it's a bargain....

Chislenko

Veteran
I've owned an Allez Sport since new (2013) and I love the bike, however it is real eye opener to me that it is now £1600!!!

I know it is all relative but it cost me £595 back in the day. They were Sora 9 speed equipped back then, rim brakes, wheels were nothing to write home about but they did the job.

Still probably my favourite bike to ride.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know about the models you mentioned but seems rather expensive in the current climate with distributers dropping like flies and decreased demand for bikes there should be some better bargains around.
I'd be looking for a steel frame with a ST bottom bracket. A pressfit might be a okay but as Dirty Harry said 'Are you feeling lucky?'.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't know about the models you mentioned but seems rather expensive in the current climate with distributers dropping like flies and decreased demand for bikes there should be some better bargains around.
I'd be looking for a steel frame with a ST bottom bracket. A pressfit might be a okay but as Dirty Harry said 'Are you feeling lucky?'.

Indeed, something like this is cheaper and better specced than either the Allez or Synapse
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-725-disc-green-shimano-tiagra/?childSku=BB725CRG001

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
Indeed, something like this is cheaper and better specced than either the Allez or Synapse
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-725-disc-green-shimano-tiagra/?childSku=BB725CRG001
That is a great find, thank you. It's mechanical rather than hydraulic disk brakes on that, however their next model up does get you to hydraulics plus 105 and a "real" wheelset, tempting

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-al-shimano-105-disc/

No provision for panniers though

Last edited:
Top Bottom