Allez or Sirrus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
The Sirrus is set up as a mile eating commute bike, fast yet robust and can be weatherproofed with guards, it can also take a pannier rack, many prefer the bike to carry the luggage in preference to using a rucksack.

The Allez in comparison is a fair-weather sports bike, it will not be quite as robust as the Sirrus and can not easily take full guards, although I have seen them fitted with a bit of ‘Heath Robinson’ fettling, same goes for a rear pannier rack. Quite a few commuters are prepared to sacrifice robustness and weather proofing for a bike with a focus more on out and out performance.

As a footnote the Specialized Allez 61cm availability as at 18.25 today is as follows, all dates are from their dealer website and represent the delivery into Specialized, if they arrive on schedule, which most do, the dealers would get them 2-3 days after:

Allez 18 : 170409
Allez 27 : 100409
Allez Sport : 170409
Allez Elite not available in 61cm

Sirrus XL, upto the 'Expert' model then all currently available in Large and Extra Large, the 'Pro' only in 56cm.

Personally I would fit bar ends to a Sirrus and use that as a robust commuter over the Allez, the former is a quicker bike than it looks.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Maz

Guru
Here is a picture of my Sirrus with fitted bar-ends...
30cmvxs.jpg

And my Allez:

21j0inm.jpg

ferret fur

I recently got a sirrus & I wish i'd done it ages ago. Maybe it's because I do have other race orientated bikes, but it really does what it says on the tin. There is a reason why they design commuter bikes, and for me it is perfect. Brakes are good, good visiblity, more comfortable than a drop bar bike, and I certainly don't regret the mudguards I put on. I've been commuting for 15 years without mudguards & I can't believe how stupid I've been. If it is your only bike & you want it to do more than commute then maybe the Allez is more suitable, but just for commuting... buy a bike that is designed for the job.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I went with a Giant CRS Alliance, the 08 is on at 25% discount here
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=12149&catID=428
which is probably most similar to the Sirrus Comp. I would say that the comfort/positional arguement re flats v drops is a little confusing. A lot of people weigh in on the side of drops for no other reason than they don't really consider something to be a bike without drops. I'm not a huge fan of plain flat bars but there are plenty of options for creating multiple positions other than drops. Bar ends are the obvious, but then you can go with all sorts of touring style bars. I chose butterfly style and don't regret it at all. Strangely a lot of people advocating drops freely admit that they rarely ride in that position.

OP
OP
F

Frogbox

I've actually decided to go for the Allez Triple, speed being my primary concern. Only problem is I have to wait until April 10th Now :sad:

OP
OP
F

Frogbox

Well, my bike arrived early, on the 3rd which is my birthday doubly cool.

It's awesome, feels a million times better than my current bike. can't wait to use it on my commute now.

Maz

Guru
Frogbox said:
Well, my bike arrived early, on the 3rd which is my birthday doubly cool.

It's awesome, feels a million times better than my current bike. can't wait to use it on my commute now.
Nice one.
I've been commuting on my allez now that weather/light has picked up. Feels fast and light.

OP
OP
F

Frogbox

It's typical that the week it arrives the weather turns crap so it'll be my other bike for now.

Maz

Guru
HLaB said:
My Sirrus has handled off road occasionally tracks and canal paths, with 28mm tyres it handles it OK (although mine now has narrower 25mm) but I wouldn't go jumping up and down with it off road, its not perfectly at home there.
Agree.

buggi

Bird Saviour
so how often do you go down the tow paths regularly on your sirrus? my brother wants a commuting bike. he can't decide between a road bike or a hybrid, purely because he wants a choice of hitting the tow paths when he feels like it (although he admits this is coz the bike he has now with front suspension is hard on the hills) i've told him to come over and try out my road bike. i know the difference will be phenomenal compared to the heavy bike he has now and it will prob convince him to just stick to the roads. i'm sure he will want one, but if he still feels like he wants to go down the tow paths i said i thought the sirrus would suit him but i'd look into it.

so basically, thicker tyres on it and bob's your uncle?

Top Bottom