Allez or Sirrus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frogbox

Hi,

I have a 30 mile commute (15 miles each way). I'm thinking of changing my bike, I currently commute on a converted mountain bike, and am looking for a more efficient bike.

The two I have in mind are the Specialized Allez Triple (Road Bike) and the Sirrrus Elite (Hybrid).

I can't decide which I would be better going for, would the Allez give me much improved performance or would the Sirrus be better because the verstility would outweigh any permformance benefit?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
The versatility of the sirrus is not massive as it is pretty much a flat bar road bike with a few comfy bits thrown in, you cant hop off a curb (not that you should) and you will still find yourself avoiding the rough patches.

They are both cracking bikes, I commute 18 miles each way on an Allez and its perfect, fast, comfortable and looks great! only downside is the wet, no mud guards! but I keep a change of clothes and some bits at work so I dont need guards, racks, panniers.

Both great try them out as both are even stevens in plus/minus points IMO...

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Have you ridden either? I love mine dont get me wrong but you should ride both before you part with your cash.... I have said it before... NEVER buy a bike from a bike shop that wont let you ride one beforehand. People are all different shapes and sizes so different bikes feel better for some people.

If you try it and still like the ALlez, go for it... even in the wet you wont regret it! Que the sensible posters to say you MUST have mudguards, racks etc to commute. I say Screw it, get a wet muddy arse, back, chest and some spray in your face with no room for carrying your sarnies and have some fun....

Mind you the sirrus is still a very fast and fun bike... no doubt most sirrus commuters on here are faster than my lardy arse on my Allez... but I have so much fun I dont really care.

ChrisKH

Guru
As wigsie says re comfort. If you do decide to go for the Allez; spend as much as possible and get the best version. I have the Sport triple and wish I had spent another £200-£300 to get the Elite. It seems a lot more at the time but in retrospect if I had waited two-three months I could have afforded it. It's still a nice bike though.

OP
OP
F

Frogbox

I'm going to have a test ride today. My one concern is that I will need the 61cm frame in the Allez and the shop seemed loathe to get one in for that reason, but I would stipulate I would have to try it before I'd commit to buying.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Frogbox said:
I'm going to have a test ride today. My one concern is that I will need the 61cm frame in the Allez and the shop seemed loathe to get one in for that reason, but I would stipulate I would have to try it before I'd commit to buying.

Thats fair enough.... I know they dont like the 61cm's as they are harder to sell, I had same scenario but if they want the sell they they will do it.

OP
OP
F

Frogbox

I will impress that on them, you can't expect people to lay out that kind of money with trying first.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Tell them to get an Elite in too, just incase ;);)

thomas

the tank engine
Frogbox said:
I must be honest I've seen both and the Allez is the one that's calling me.

I've got an Allez...on my second one (first got stolen). I'm very pleased with it. Some of the parts were a little cheap on my one, definitely get new tyres (it might not matter so much now, but when we get back into winter you'll have a puncture on every commute - seriously!) and a few other things might just wear a little quicker - but it's not really a massive deal.

I'd really recommend it! Never riden the surrus, seen a few around campus. Looks pretty similar, just not as nice/good ;)

I've got a Sirrus its a great fast bike and offers the benefits of the heads up position and better braking in traffic; mine can out accelerate most road bikes (but I have a 52T chain ring) and it has benefit of being able to mudguards and a rack. However its now retired from commuting duties and I've converted it to drop bar I've found the drops far more benificial out of town/ traffic compared to the flat bars. I think if it was me I'd be drawn towards the Allez but I'd have to weigh up the commuting benefits of the Sirrus but I'd probably still plump for the Allez ;)

In trouble

I commute my 18 miles (each way) with my Allez Elite, and its comfortable and fast, and handles nicely. I've been in the wet and snow and mud and sun, and never had a problem staying upright (apart from once when I forgot to take my shoes out of the peddles outside a busy train station)

There is also plently of choice with your riding position, so you can change to stay comfortable, rather than stuck in the same position all the time.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Frogbox said:
Hi,

I have a 30 mile commute (15 miles each way). I'm thinking of changing my bike, I currently commute on a converted mountain bike, and am looking for a more efficient bike.

The two I have in mind are the Specialized Allez Triple (Road Bike) and the Sirrrus Elite (Hybrid).

I can't decide which I would be better going for, would the Allez give me much improved performance or would the Sirrus be better because the verstility would outweigh any permformance benefit?

Any advice would be very welcome.

go for the Specialized Allez Triple :surrender:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
In trouble said:
I commute my 18 miles (each way) with my Allez Elite, and its comfortable and fast, and handles nicely. I've been in the wet and snow and mud and sun, and never had a problem staying upright (apart from once when I forgot to take my shoes out of the peddles outside a busy train station)

There is also plently of choice with your riding position, so you can change to stay comfortable, rather than stuck in the same position all the time.

Are you my alter ego? I must have blocked the incident at the train station out of my mind though! ;)

Top Bottom