Arrogant or just plain ignorant - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
On the way to work yesterday at 05.30h, I let an 18 tonner go first when the lights changed. This is habitual for me as they can get on and it prevents them from having to follow me down a road that is difficult to overtake on. Same with buses. Anyway, two 'roadies' came out from a side road a little ahead of said 18 tonner. By this time, there was an artic and several cars behind the 18 tonner. However, the roadies were riding two abreast, and continued to do so for the next 3/4 mile until they went down a slip road. There was no attempt or effort to single out to let the built up traffic past.
Opinions on a postcard - ! :wacko:

markemark

Über Member
3/4 of a mile. Assuming reasonable pace that was 2 or 3 minutes? I’m sure they all survived the ordeal. I once waited 2 or 3 minutes at traffic lights due to traffic. Who do I write to?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Doesn't matter. I've recently hopped on a pavement to let a HGV pass. I don't have to, probably shouldn't have, but it's better having the HGV in front. Driver was happy and gave me a toot !

Nothing wrong with what they did - might have been a bit busy in conversation.

boydj

Legendary Member
Where does this 'arrogant' come from? I keep seeing it in relation to cyclists - especially from entitled drivers who seem to have an expectation that cyclists should immediately dive out of their way to ensure that the driver's progress is not impeded in any way.

In my experience the primary thought in most cyclists' minds is to get where they are going safely without having their lives put at risk by thoughtless, inconsiderate, impatient drivers.

Note for drivers - when the road is narrow it is safer for cyclists to ride 2-abreast to prevent close passes and so that drivers have to overtake by going completely into the other carriageway.

Drago

Legendary Member
They didn't break any laws.

Anyone that cant handle doing a mere 20mph instead of 30 (or, realistically, more, because people don't know how to obey speed limits) for 3/4 shouldn't be allowed in charge of a motor vehicle

If you have a problem with it then youll be absolutely apoplectic when all 30 zones are reduced to 20, as has been mooted, and you're perpetually stuck behind an imaginary roadie.

No one died. No one was even inconvenienced. Nothing to see here.

Top Bottom