Arrogant or just plain ignorant - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

But most roadies wouldn't be seen dead on a cycle path; might take a few seconds off their time - ! :laugh:
And they have their image to think of - ! :rofl:
Typical driver's mentality. "someone isn't using the cyclepath, they SHOULD USE THE CYCLE PATH!!!"

Instead, try "why aren't they using the cycle path?" Because there is usually an answer, often safety, personal risk assessment of the facility. I doubt taking a few seconds longer even comes in the top 100 of reasons.

Jody

Stubborn git
We're they travelling at more than 15mph? I'd assume so if they were lycra clad tarmac terrorists.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
I think the key thing here is that the road was difficult to overtake on. Singling out would just have been inviting an dangerous overtake.
Point being that this was at 05.30h. and little traffic about. I ride the same road on my commute at the same time and also early afternoon when there's a lot more traffic about going both ways. I don't have an issue with HGVs overtaking me on said stretch of road as often happens, so it's not a particularily 'difficult road' as you imply. :whistle:

Because as there was also a good cycle path to the left of the offenders, one can also question why they felt that they needed to stay on the road holding the traffic up anyway. But this is something I've often noticed that 'roadies' wil stay on the road, regardless of the traffic issues that they may be causing when there is a very acceptable cycle path right beside said road - !
After all, how much effort does it take to single up for about a minute to let the traffic past - ?
Or am I odd in that I will generally do my best to cooperate with other road users so everyone can get on as best they can - ?
I expect they ignore traffic lights as well !

boydj

Legendary Member
Because as there was also a good cycle path to the left of the offenders, one can also question why they felt that they needed to stay on the road holding the traffic up anyway. But this is something I've often noticed that 'roadies' wil stay on the road, regardless of the traffic issues that they may be causing when there is a very acceptable cycle path right beside said road - !
After all, how much effort does it take to single up for about a minute to let the traffic past - ?
Or am I odd in that I will generally do my best to cooperate with other road users so everyone can get on as best they can - ?

Is the road wide enough to pass a cyclist in the same lane while giving them a good 5 or 6 feet of space? If not it makes no difference whether or not they single up as drivers have to go into the opposite lane to overtake. That's a decision for the cyclists which drivers just have to accept. Good defensive cycling.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
This is habitual for me as they can get on and it prevents them from having to follow me down a road that is difficult to overtake on.
Point being that this was at 05.30h. and little traffic about

Was the road difficult or not to overtake on? If there was little traffic why was overtaking in the other lane not possible?

Last edited:
But most roadies wouldn't be seen dead on a cycle path; might take a few seconds off their time - ! :laugh:
And they have their image to think of - ! :rofl:
That's complete BS.
There's a cycle path into Wales that everyone uses. Even the fast boys. It's used because it's a nice safe path. Not with gravel or road detritus - not bobbing across side roads - it's a proper path for cyclists and walkers.

Give us those paths and they're used.

A path that's just painted on the pavement is more dangerous than being on the road most of the time.

Top Bottom