Arrogant or just plain ignorant - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't believe the OP has been on here since 2014 as a sleeper agent for the moton majority, that is such deep cover, I suppose it must have been one too many cyclists making so much better progress that did it, or all those cyclists smiling - that really boils their )*!! ;)

Milzy

Guru
On the way to work yesterday at 05.30h, I let an 18 tonner go first when the lights changed. This is habitual for me as they can get on and it prevents them from having to follow me down a road that is difficult to overtake on. Same with buses. Anyway, two 'roadies' came out from a side road a little ahead of said 18 tonner. By this time, there was an artic and several cars behind the 18 tonner. However, the roadies were riding two abreast, and continued to do so for the next 3/4 mile until they went down a slip road. There was no attempt or effort to single out to let the built up traffic past.
Opinions on a postcard - ! :wacko:
Nobbers.

Alex321

Veteran
Because as there was also a good cycle path to the left of the offenders, one can also question why they felt that they needed to stay on the road holding the traffic up anyway.
And just why did you not see fit to mention that in the OP?

Though your definition of "perfectly good" may not be the same as that of most cyclists.;

But this is something I've often noticed that 'roadies' wil stay on the road, regardless of the traffic issues that they may be causing when there is a very acceptable cycle path right beside said road - !
After all, how much effort does it take to single up for about a minute to let the traffic past - ?
It doesn't take much effort, but it does take a fair amount of stupidity to do it on a road where overtaking is difficult.

Or am I odd in that I will generally do my best to cooperate with other road users so everyone can get on as best they can - ?

Not at all, but you clearly know little about cycling safely on roads.

Yes, most of us will look for somewhere reaosnable to slow/pull in to let motor vehicles pass. But that doesn't mean we do thoings to encourage them to pass where it isn't safe.

Point being that this was at 05.30h. and little traffic about. I ride the same road on my commute at the same time and also early afternoon when there's a lot more traffic about going both ways. I don't have an issue with HGVs overtaking me on said stretch of road as often happens, so it's not a particularily 'difficult road' as you imply. :whistle:

He didn't "imply" anything. You stated it quite clearly in black and white in your OP.

I don't know what you ride, but there is one person coming across as both arrogant and ignorant with your attitude to "roadies" - and if you ride a bike on the road , then you are a "Roadie" too.

gbb

Legendary Member
On the way to work yesterday at 05.30h, I let an 18 tonner go first when the lights changed. This is habitual for me as they can get on and it prevents them from having to follow me down a road that is difficult to overtake on. Same with buses. Anyway, two 'roadies' came out from a side road a little ahead of said 18 tonner. By this time, there was an artic and several cars behind the 18 tonner. However, the roadies were riding two abreast, and continued to do so for the next 3/4 mile until they went down a slip road. There was no attempt or effort to single out to let the built up traffic past.
Opinions on a postcard - ! :wacko:
I do exactly as you do, its a mix of self preservation (or risk reduction if you prefer ) and courtesy.
What anyone else does, TBH is up to them.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Did a "roadie" run cycle off with your wife?
I infer from your childish comment that Norfolk must be unique in it's population of roadies. Put them in 'the' lycra, on 'the' bike, especially in a group and the red mist descends. They then proceed to ignore many traffic rules / regulations that may impinge on their progress. Having the temerity to comment or worse, criticise their actions, no matter how diplomatically and you are guaranteed verbal abuse, usually punctuated with a 'F**k you / off.'
So Pumpkin, go figure. :whistle:

markemark

Über Member
Have I stumbled into the Daily Mail by mistake?

I wonder if it were the cyclists that held up the traffic of the massive chip on your shoulder.

Alex321

Veteran
I infer from your childish comment that Norfolk must be unique in it's population of roadies. Put them in 'the' lycra, on 'the' bike, especially in a group and the red mist descends. They then proceed to ignore many traffic rules / regulations that may impinge on their progress. Having the temerity to comment or worse, criticise their actions, no matter how diplomatically and you are guaranteed verbal abuse, usually punctuated with a 'F**k you / off.'
You know, I would guess that over 90% of the people posting regularly here are Road cyclists, regularly riding road bikes while wearing lycra.

But I would be very surprised if even 1% recognise your ridiculous assertions as even being sometimes valid, never mind the norm.

And if his comment was "childish", then just what have yours been in this thread?

Blimey, she did run off with a roadie. Sorry, it is obviously still a touchy subject for you.

I have ridden in loads of different groups/clubs on the roads. I have lead group rides on the roads and your views could not be any further from the experiences I have had. I really do not get what the whole point of your original post is to be honest, but hey live and let live.

si_c

Guru
Isn’t there a maximum recommended speed on a cycle path that’s something like faster than 15 mph, get on the road?
Not to mention I wouldn't want to hit a child or anyone else for that matter running out of a driveway whilst riding at that sort of speed. It's inevitable that it will happen eventually. Bad infrastructure is bad for everyone, not just cyclists.

boydj

Legendary Member

I don't recognise any of the road cycling groups that I have ridden with in the last 20 years or so in your statement. You sound more like an arrogant, entitled driver than an experienced road cyclist. Have you ever cycled on a club run? Was your experience like you describe above? Have you ever experienced the cut and thrust of commuter cycling on busy roads?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I like to think we are a broader church than that, but maybe I'm wrong. Plenty of tourers, hybrids, MTBs, Dutchies, fixed, recumbents, folders, trikes (upright and down) etc. etc. And as for lycra ...

I think the thread was just a vehicle for the OP to have a pop at a stereotyped subgroup, Daily Mail style. An it was successful in that. Pop had. OP's spleen vented.

I think the point @Alex321 was making was that road cyclist is not defined by the bike you ride or the clothes you wear but primarily by riding on the road. For instance had they been riding on this so called excellent cycle path. The OP would have called them cyclopaths , going too fast on a shared use path 😂

Top Bottom