Arrogant or just plain ignorant - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Not to mention I wouldn't want to hit a child or anyone else for that matter running out of a driveway whilst riding at that sort of speed. It's inevitable that it will happen eventually. Bad infrastructure is bad for everyone, not just cyclists.
Exactly, or broadside a car reversing out of a driveway

MuelNado

Regular
On the, 'there was a cycle lane next to these guys' point. I cycle through Brighton and Hove most of the time, which has a number of dedicated cycle lanes. I'll use them in certain places but in other places, it's just dangerous IMO. Potholes, parked cars, poorly fitted drains, sharp objects like glass, nails, tools, ripped up cans etc. I've had comments from a number of drivers; one of whom slowed down to drive alongside me, boxed me by the curb, and asked me if I knew there was a cycle lane on the pavement. A curious exchange followed in which I had time to tell the guy that the cycle lane on the pavement (by BHASVIC for anyone local) crossed a number of side street entrances. Drivers are supposed to give way and check what's coming but I've had a few not do that and almost had horrible accidents. I got an "Ok, no worries" as the guy accelerated past.

Very long-winded way to say that cycle lanes aren't always the safest path for someone on a bike and it's up to the person on the bike to decide that for themselves. This is something I've had to explain to my Dad and Sister, who moan about it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
On the way to work yesterday at 05.30h, I let an 18 tonner go first when the lights changed. This is habitual for me as they can get on and it prevents them from having to follow me down a road that is difficult to overtake on. Same with buses. Anyway, two 'roadies' came out from a side road a little ahead of said 18 tonner. By this time, there was an artic and several cars behind the 18 tonner. However, the roadies were riding two abreast, and continued to do so for the next 3/4 mile until they went down a slip road. There was no attempt or effort to single out to let the built up traffic past.
Opinions on a postcard - ! :wacko:
Was not there so can't comment.

icowden

Veteran
Opinions on a postcard - ! :wacko:

As others have said - not enough info.
What was the speed limit for the road? Was it difficult to overtake on? How fast were the roadies going?

If they weren't significantly holding up the traffic they may have decided it was safer to continue at two abreast until they could peel off. 60 seconds isn't going to make that much difference if it was a 30mph road. Could have been less if they were faster, or if it were downhill.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
seems that the OP is just shoe horning extra its of info into the thread as it goes along.......im gonna guess he's moaning that the roadies didnt use the cycle path next to them and nothing to do with holding up traffic or difficult road to over take

icowden

Veteran
icowden said:
Was it difficult to overtake on?
simongt said:
a road that is difficult to overtake on

simongt said:
Point being that this was at 05.30h. and little traffic about. I ride the same road on my commute at the same time and also early afternoon when there's a lot more traffic about going both ways. I don't have an issue with HGVs overtaking me on said stretch of road as often happens, so it's not a particularily 'difficult road' as you imply

Thanks @newfhouse. I can read.

The OP has said that the road is both difficult to overtake on and not difficult to overtake on. A Schrodinger's road if you will.

Top Bottom