Is 40km too far to commute once or twice a week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I've posted about commuting before, however, I've changed jobs and no longer work in the city centre. I've been driving to the office but I absolutely hate it and sometimes it can take an hour. For an extra 40 mins or so I could be getting some fresh air and incorporating a bike ride into my day.

I'm reasonably fit and have managed to plan a couple of different options that I'm going to test out. I know that distances are all very subjective and there's people who commute absolutely ridiculous distances (in my opinion) - but - do folks think this is too far to do once or twice a week?

As a side note, I put fuel in my car for the first time in a few week yesterday and was horrified, so would much prefer that my only fuel source was bananas, coffee and haribo...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'd depend on the terrain and roads/routes. Mine yesterday was 30+km each way and it was fine despite being lumpy as I live in the hills.

Lots commute much further.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I work in miles, and thats a 25 miler in and a 25 miler home. Once or twice a week sounds very do-able. I do 50-70 a week and then do a 30-50 miler at the weekend. Is it flattish or perhaps some lumpy bits ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
140m elevation on the return leg - so mega flat 😂

No excuses then :whistle:

Just recognise that you're asking a group of cyclists about riding your bike and are getting responses from the nuttier long-distance commuting end of the community :laugh:

Only you know whether it's possible, and that's probably only after a few weeks of trying.

vickster

Legendary Member
40km each way? I’d think so on the right bike, any luggage in panniers and decent weather and not too much traffic and stress (that’s what I find most draining). Presumably a sedentary office job not something physical for 8 hours.
I wouldn't personally if it’s going to be dark in both directions ie after October!

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Other things to consider:

Facilities at your place of employment should you be sweating / soaking etc

How much you have to carry into work, sarnie box / lap top / change of clothes etc.

It may be possible to split your commute into part car and part bike. There may be a place where you can safely park your car without parking costs and then use a really nice cycle path to your destination to make it safer and faster. That way you save a good chunk of money in fuel and possibly a parking fee saving too. The issue is the size of your car and how easy to fit the bike into it. Most cars will take a bike with the front wheel off and the rear seats down. Other cars like estates you can literally just slide in the whole bike. If you have a small car might be worth considering a folding bike especially if that means you can store it safely at work within the main building rather than locked to a bike rack. I've been to a few park and ride car parks and some people just take out a bike and commute into the city/town from there. I guess that could be a considerable saving if they are being charged to park within the town/city. Many park and rides have good cycling paths to them. If you can save £20 in fuel a week that is over £1000 back in your pocket over the year.

What would be the best commute distance for you and try to work it so that is your commute by bike.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Prior to the pandemic I commuted daily 20-24km in each direction. By Thu/Fri I was pretty tired, but it was manageable.

Reckon 2 times a week should be possible so long as no underlying health issues.

Non cyclists will tell you you’re mad to consider it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is this 40km/25miles each way or a round trip?

I regularly commute 10 miles each way either end of a 12hr shift and find it manageable whether on days or nights. I have often thought it would still probably work if the distance was further, maybe up to another 5 miles each way, but any more than that then it would impact the rest of my life too much. Currently spend 40 minutes in the saddle each way so up to about 1hr or 1hr 10min could be doable, but no more.

Top Bottom