Is 40km too far to commute once or twice a week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As others have mentioned it is a doable commute if you're fit enough for it. I used to do Reading into Sunbury and back 3 days a week, around 80km round trip. The trick was I'd drive in Monday with a week's worth of clothes and then I didn't have to haul clothing every day. Friday I would drive in again and take home the laundry. Other reasons why it was possible included a decent sized locker to store clothes, co-workers who didn't mind my getting changed in the loo's (no showers back then), somewhat flexible work schedule, a place to charge lights and secure the bike, a desk job so I rested somewhat before riding home, and a huge free fry up at the works cafe. Plus as a back up I had a couple of work mates who lived close to me so I could get a lift if required (weather, broken bike, wimp out).

Each way or round @Enlightenedwaistcoat ?
I do a hilly 35km round in winter and 40km + round in nice weather. Whilst it is just one day a week (WfH the other days), if it wasn't for the time spent on a busy train (often standing for 45 mins before I get a seat for the last 10mins at night), I would be up for more. My last job saw me do circa 42 flat km's every day.

Good early morning,

The OP has another thread where she is considering a carbon bike for fast rides.

The problem I found with commuting as exercise was that I budgeted my exertion for the week to stop myself from being tired on Friday and slowly lost speed.

I now do Thurs/Fri rides home flat out where it is safe and this is most of the route, but this does mean that if I ride on the weekend the end of the following week is quite demanding.

Yes, I know that pros do 100 miles a day at race speed many days a week, but I am not a pro. :-) It's the start/stop of recovery that gets me and It seems likely that 2/3 days a week would massively reduce this accumulation of not quite fully recovered.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Good early morning,

The OP has another thread where she is considering a carbon bike for fast rides.

The problem I found with commuting as exercise was that I budgeted my exertion for the week to stop myself from being tired on Friday and slowly lost speed.

I now do Thurs/Fri rides home flat out where it is safe and this is most of the route, but this does mean that if I ride on the weekend the end of the following week is quite demanding.

Yes, I know that pros do 100 miles a day at race speed many days a week, but I am not a pro. :-) It's the start/stop of recovery that gets me and It seems likely that 2/3 days a week would massively reduce this accumulation of not quite fully recovered.

Bye

Ian

Its so easy to overdo it isn't it, I've done it and my hip was a bit angry for a few weeks. I think it just depends on how the weekend has gone and if I'm tired or not. It would be a Tuesday that I ride in so would just have to see how recovered I am and if not, drive on a Tuesday and swap my ride to Thursday. That said provided its done gradually you do adapt to the added mileage.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I ride 40km round trip most days both winter and summer. Im 64 and have been doing it for years. You get used to it. But I have a huge selection of routes and so that helps.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'd also consider an ebike for when you are wanting a slight bit of assistance. 50 miles is certainly doable, assuming base fitness already established.

Factor 2hrs for a steady pace, whilst becoming accustomed to the rides

icowden

Veteran
Its so easy to overdo it isn't it, I've done it and my hip was a bit angry for a few weeks. I think it just depends on how the weekend has gone and if I'm tired or not. It would be a Tuesday that I ride in so would just have to see how recovered I am and if not, drive on a Tuesday and swap my ride to Thursday. That said provided its done gradually you do adapt to the added mileage.
The other consideration after the distance is the weather. Whilst it might be a great feeling to do a 25 mile commute on a nice day when the sun is out, are you going to feel the same way when it's cold and wet, and dark?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

The other consideration after the distance is the weather. Whilst it might be a great feeling to do a 25 mile commute on a nice day when the sun is out, are you going to feel the same way when it's cold and wet, and dark?

Already said further up thread its intended as a fairweather thing 🙂 while the days are longer and weather slightly more favourable (only slightly, we live in England) I was going to take advantage.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok I’m pretty much a non cyclist these days , however prior to 2020. I was 150 miles a week commuter. All year when possible. I knew of a couple of other fellow commuters whom would do 250 miles a week in the spring summer. So 22miles a day each way . However you would really need to work up to that . Once you get into the habit you don’t think about it . Well I never did . :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once you get into the habit you don’t think about it . Well I never did . :sad:

This /\
I currently do a 50km round commute 5 days a week. Just don't even think about it. Just jump on the bike and go. What ever the weather.
Being in London we have relatively good cycling weather all year round. I can count on one hand the number of times the weathers been too bad to cycle over the last 10 years.
Rain, I average 20-30 commutes a year when its a rainy ride. That's pretty low annually.

Top Bottom