Is 40km too far to commute once or twice a week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do it while it's fun. Don't force yourself, or do it when you don't feel like it.

Never use up all your enthusiasm in one go. It's easy to think how nice it would be in a heatwave but in the pouring rain in February it might not be so appealing.

I know this isn't a car forum, but we recently bought Mrs667 a Peugeot 107 and as cars go I can't find a single thing I dislike about it. It does 58mpg.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Do it while it's fun. Don't force yourself, or do it when you don't feel like it.

Never use up all your enthusiasm in one go. It's easy to think how nice it would be in a heatwave but in the pouring rain in February it might not be so appealing.

I know this isn't a car forum, but we recently bought Mrs667 a Peugeot 107 and as cars go I can't find a single thing I dislike about it. It does 58mpg.

Oh no I'm not going to be torturing myself riding in the pouring February rain or whatever. It just seems nice while the weather is good and the days are long 😊 I have a vw golf that gets something similar (if not more provided I have a clear run). I just get wound up when the motorway network falls apart and think 'surely there's another way'. I'm only in once a week at the moment (twice if I can be bothered) so it's fine generally.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I think the facilities are good - admittedly not as good as my old city centre office but still. There's showers, covered cycle storage and lockers (I think, tho I do have my own locker for work stuff). Plenty people do cycle in so that must mean it's decent?!
It will take a chunk out your day, both the commute and changing before and after so, (assuming there is some flexibility in your working hours) you may need to consider opening times of your building and perhaps adjust your leaving times accordingly. For example, I leave around 5.30am, so that I can leave a little earlier in the afternoon. This saves buggering up evening meal times and allows me to do some jobs around the house when I get home, instead of my spouse getting the impression the days I commute to work are taken up with work and riding.
Unless you are already familiar with them as a cyclist at the times you intend travelling, I would also carefully check your route/s before fully committing. The A580 between the Worsley turn offs and Salford Uni can be unpleasant, particularly near the motorway slip roads. On the A57, unless you do the detour around Irlam, you are mixing it with traffic for most of its length. Depending upon your times of travel and your confidence as a cyclist, some of the bottle necks may also be unpleasant.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

It will take a chunk out your day, both the commute and changing before and after so, (assuming there is some flexibility in your working hours) you may need to consider opening times of your building and perhaps adjust your leaving times accordingly. For example, I leave around 5.30am, so that I can leave a little earlier in the afternoon. This saves buggering up evening meal times and allows me to do some jobs around the house when I get home, instead of my spouse getting the impression the days I commute to work are taken up with work and riding.
Unless you are already familiar with them as a cyclist at the times you intend travelling, I would also carefully check your route/s before fully committing. The A580 between the Worsley turn offs and Salford Uni can be unpleasant, particularly near the motorway slip roads. On the A57, unless you do the detour around Irlam, you are mixing it with traffic for most of its length. Depending upon your times of travel and your confidence as a cyclist, some of the bottle necks may also be unpleasant.

My route will likely be through Urmston, Carrington, Partington and Warburton. Its the other end of Manchester really so no need for me to be anywhere near the east lancs or the a57. That said a lot of the a57 thru Irlam has a shared path I think

vickster

Legendary Member
Have considered this and a colleague who travels from Liverpool does this. Not been on a train with a bike for years - is it a nightmare? :wacko:

Depends on the rail company, how busy trains are and the rules on peak vs off peak travel
Around London and SE it’s fine off peak but a no no with a non folder in and out of London during peaks.
You’d need to look at rules in your area

tyred

Legendary Member
I did that distance to my previous job a few times a week over the summer months. My route was 98% rural but had some hills. I was pretty fit then and didn't find the distance a problem but it takes a lot of time (I'm definitely not a fast cyclist. It took at least ninety minutes for me). It can eat into your time for other things so I definitely wouldn't want to do it every day but once, twice or even thrice a week is fine if you have reasonable fitness and have time.

Despite having good dynamo lamps I never fancied it in the dark in winter.

I used to commute 14 miles round trip every day. It's great for keeping fit.
Problems for me started in the summer months when I added weekend and evening rides to the mileage.

I rode myself to exhaustion and ended up with a major hamstring injury which ended up keeping me off the bike for almost 3 years.

Sure my mistake for missing the signs of over training - just be sure to schedule some rest weeks ....even if that means taking the car.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My route will likely be through Urmston, Carrington, Partington and Warburton. Its the other end of Manchester really so no need for me to be anywhere near the east lancs or the a57. That said a lot of the a57 thru Irlam has a shared path I think
Apologies, I was referring to Liverpool Road, which links Eccles via Urmston to Warburton as the A57, which it used to be before the Cadishead Way bypass was built and that part at least became the A57.
IIRC, there is a shared path on Cadishead Way, but the last time I rode it, it was strewn with glass in places. And the road surface is harsh to ride on if the shared path is avoided.
On Liverpool Road/A57, the only shared paths are from the junction of Cadishead Way to the A J Bell stadium, ln the airport side of the road, and a short stretch near Irlam and Cadishead leisure centre, on the leisure centre side of the road.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Apologies, I was referring to Liverpool Road, which links Eccles via Urmston to Warburton as the A57, which it used to be before the Cadishead Way bypass was built and that part at least became the A57.
IIRC, there is a shared path on Cadishead Way, but the last time I rode it, it was strewn with glass in places. And the road surface is harsh to ride on if the shared path is avoided.
On Liverpool Road/A57, the only shared paths are from the junction of Cadishead Way to the A J Bell stadium, ln the airport side of the road, and a short stretch near Irlam and Cadishead leisure centre, on the leisure centre side of the road.

Ah OK - it's the a6144. Generally I'm not arsed, I'll ride most roads. Other half sets off at 6 to commute to work so I'd be doing similar. I just want to try it really but it's not gonna be a 'must do this every week without fail' kind of thing, just as and when.

Good evening,

Currently I am doing Worcester/Redditch Mon-Fri which is a minimum of 18 miles each way and as I value variety this can grow to around 22 miles .

The big difference for me between commuting over pleasure riding is that it is two trips close to 12 hours apart. Every training manual will tell you that this is a terrible idea as you don't recover from the first session before you start the second.

So expect that it may be much harder than the same distance done at the same speed in just one journey.

Also if you get the diet wrong and hit glycogen depletion mid afternoon and fall asleep at the desk expect some raised eyebrows. :-) This is easier to do than it might sound, you short change yourself on carbs Mon-Fri and drat how did that happen?

As well as time for the actual ride I cool down/start work for 10-15 minute in my cycling clothing then get changed which takes another 10-15 minutes. Although the ride home is usually faster, the cool down/shower time is still necessary.

My fastest ride home was at an average of nearly 22mph, this was with a very strong tail wind nearly all the way, when the wind blows the other way the average can drop to around 13mph!

Of course this could turn out to be a gentle cruise around the block for you and you take the long route every day.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom