Is 40km too far to commute once or twice a week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Is this 40km/25miles each way or a round trip?

I regularly commute 10 miles each way either end of a 12hr shift and find it manageable whether on days or nights. I have often thought it would still probably work if the distance was further, maybe up to another 5 miles each way, but any more than that then it would impact the rest of my life too much. Currently spend 40 minutes in the saddle each way so up to about 1hr or 1hr 10min could be doable, but no more.

One way. I do a desk job and not a 12h shift (not shift work either) - so suspect our experiences will differ. I'm gonna test it out on Saturday anyway I think so we shall see!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not wanting to discourage you, cycling to work is a great way to kill two birds with one stone, getting a ride in and getting to work. However, as you already suggested, this is going to be 90 minutes cycling at a reasonably hard pace and maybe more like 2hrs if you are a bit slower or tired. that's a big chunk of time from the day.

How often/far/fast do you currently ride? My typical moving average for the commute is around 16mph but a Cheshire leisure ride with my regular 'fit' buddies can often be 3-4mph slower than that despite riding better roads in less traffic at weekend.

Go for it and maybe keep it for the best weather days, but I would think it is too much of a commitment to be a regular thing for most people? I'll be happy to be proven wrong :becool:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm in a similar boat and currently arrive in the office half an hour early to avoid the sodding traffic, otherwise the 30-mins-with-a-clear-run drive turns into an hour plus exercise in anger, frustration and exhaustion :sad:

While I've done the same 50-ish mile round trip in a day before I was much less unfit then and didn't have a working day on top of it all.

As much as a despise everything about commuting by car currently I've not attempted it on the bike as I know it would destroy me; maybe I' give it a go at half the distance.

If you're willing to give it a crack though and think you can sustain it, more power to you :becool:

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I do the reverse of that.
As said up thread a lot depends on the facilities at work.

I think the facilities are good - admittedly not as good as my old city centre office but still. There's showers, covered cycle storage and lockers (I think, tho I do have my own locker for work stuff). Plenty people do cycle in so that must mean it's decent?!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How fit are you currently. You'll be looking at about 90 minutes as has been said, plus changing time. Once or twice a week is fine.

My commute is an hour, but changing etc adds on 30 minutes (before/after). That said, your 'training is done' and you've not got to go out again after work. :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I occasionally used to do a 60 mile return commute - that was way too much time out of the house - looking at 13 hours from leaving home to getting back. 2 hour ride, changing, full 8 hour day, and repeat for the return. :wacko:

mustang1

Guru
Yeah sure, why not. For me, im more of a 1h each way kinda guy but if its just once or twice a week then might as well!

Ps. If its just the fresh air you want then get a convertible. Just sayin' :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is this 40km/25miles each way or a round trip?

I regularly commute 10 miles each way either end of a 12hr shift and find it manageable whether on days or nights. I have often thought it would still probably work if the distance was further, maybe up to another 5 miles each way, but any more than that then it would impact the rest of my life too much. Currently spend 40 minutes in the saddle each way so up to about 1hr or 1hr 10min could be doable, but no more.

indeed
i have a manual job , i am lifting all day so 10 miles each way is enough.

I'd suggest breaking yourself into it gently. Wait until you've comfortably incorporated a few 30/40km rides into your week then give it a go. Too gung ho and bad weather/puncture/or other undesirable event may put you off permanently.

A 20ish km commute for me was the highpoint of my day. Five days a week, shift pattern.

Two or three times a week then begs the question if an E-bike starts to make sense.

Good luck!

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I occasionally used to do a 60 mile return commute - that was way too much time out of the house - looking at 13 hours from leaving home to getting back. 2 hour ride, changing, full 8 hour day, and repeat for the return. :wacko:

I tend to do anywhere between 80 and 140km a week outdoors with up to 1500m elevation plus a few days indoors on the turbo - so reasonably? :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
How fit are you currently. You'll be looking at about 90 minutes as has been said, plus changing time. Once or twice a week is fine.

My commute is an hour, but changing etc adds on 30 minutes (before/after). That said, your 'training is done' and you've not got to go out again after work. :okay:

I couldn't cycle 40k in 90 minutes even if it's flat, either first thing or after work! I'd need 2 hours each way minimum (admittedly traffic is the issue here or cycle paths are slow)

Top Bottom